WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: (solved) Fritz WLAN USB 057c:5601 and ndiswrapper (latest TC release)  (Read 6533 times)

Offline floppy

Hello,
I installed the windows drivers for my wlan usb, but it did not work (device not initialized).
dmesg is in the attachment.
Can somebody help in order to make it running?
Thanks a lot.
(this Fritz usb was running before on the same pc with Win98 and the latest PuppyLinux but PuppyLinux is too fat for my pc)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 03:02:00 PM by floppy »
AMD K6-IIIATZ 550MHz MB DFI K6xv3/+66
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
Samsung NC10 boot from SD card port (via USB reader)
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Fritz WLAN USB 057c:5601 and ndiswrapper (latest TC release)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 08:51:05 PM »
If you go to the ndiswrapper site, does it recommend which driver to use with your hardware?

Could you paste the ndiswrapper commands you used.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 10:35:47 PM »
There appears to be a native driver but it seems to require patching.

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_part.php?brandname=AVM
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline floppy

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 01:27:41 AM »
If you go to the ndiswrapper site, does it recommend which driver to use with your hardware?

Could you paste the ndiswrapper commands you used.

Hello,
here the command and few messages logs I got

lsusb
sudo ndiswrapper -i /opt/fwlan/fwlan.inf
sudo ndiswrapper -l
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

I will see today night if the sequence putting the usb stick into the pc after the modprobe command helps (I found such info in the net. curious. I did not experience that with PuppyLinux).
I will test an other inf file found in the ubuntuusers.de (and other windows drivers I found there).
Deletion of a module then reload during a session seems to make problems: I will test it.
Native drivers dont support WPA; I need WPA (like for the PuppyLinux): so I am still trying with ndiswrapper.
This stick seems to be an headache: I ordered yesterday a WLAN Card for the PC where drivers seems to be present in TC 3.3; hopefully it runs better than this demoniac useless usb. But I dont have a large hope because the motherboad will certainly strike.

P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline maro

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 11:08:35 PM »
If its working on a PuppyLinux system, what module(s) are in use over there? I assume it's also using 'ndiswrapper' and would imagine that you could try to copy the whole '/etc/ndiswrapper' directory accross to TC and try again (with sudo modprobe ndiswrapper prior to the insertion of the USB stick).

You might want to take note of the respective version on Puppy (e.g. via ndiswrapper -v) just in case to compare it with TC.

Offline floppy

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 10:48:39 AM »
Hello,
thanks a light flue I had today (so I staid home), i found the solution in order to make running this demoniac Fritz USB Stick...
This was a long way. I did not completely understood by here is the way I have to go:

- I loaded the "optimierter Windows-Treiber 32Bit"  from http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/FRITZ!WLAN_USB_Stick  (http://www.elektronenblitz63.de/download/FritzStick_32bit_mod.tar.gz)

- I depacked the tar file on an other Ubuntu laptop and sent the files via my yahoo mail
- I connected my PC via LAN and readed the files from the yahoo mail and saved them to the /opt/fwlan/ directory I created before.
For this, there are better solutuuion (install tar before..) but this is the way I was doing it.

- I modified the ..INF file of the tar file because it had a small bug (the name of one of sys/bin file in it was wrong); but this was not a major job. All files were in the directory /opt/fwlan/

- I shut down the PC

- I disconnected the WLAN USB and the Ethernet cable (shortly before I booted)

- after booting, I made in a terminal 
    sudo ndiswrapper -i /opt/fwlan/fwlan.inf

- I made sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

- I connected the USB WLAN

- then I had to kill an Ethernet process which was automatically started from TinyCore during boot phase ->  sudo pkill..
   .. you can see this pkill command and all other commands I included into the /opt/bootlocal.sh (see attachment)
  "OldBoy1" is the name of my hostname
  The file wpa_supplicant.conf is in the attachment, too. 

So, now, I am connected with my USB WLAN. And I am happy. You imagine? An AMD K6-2 450MHz with WLAN USB.. not very very quick but quicker than my Win98 I had before on my PC.

Pascal
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline maro

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 02:36:24 PM »
Good to learn that you had some success. I'd like to point out a few minor points:

• Instead of killing the 'udhcpc' process (which you've described as "kill an Ethernet process") you might want to use the 'nodhcp' boot code in your boot loader. This would be the "TC way" to not start a 'udhcpc' process for the other NIC in the first place.

• I don't see a need to re-install the Windows driver at every boot time (i.e. via the 'ndiswrapper -i /opt/fwlan/fwlan.inf' command). You would just have to add the respective 'ndiswrapper' directory to your backup (e.g. via echo etc/ndiswrapper >> /opt/.filetool.lst) and ensure that a backup has been done successfully (e.g. via filetool.sh -b). After this I'd say you are free to remove '/opt/fwlan' directory and the respective 'ndiswrapper -i ...' command from your startup script.
    BTW, triggered by this question I've now started a new thread which might lead to a situation where you won't have to install the whole 'ndiswrapper.tcz' extension (plus it's 'perl5' dependency) just to get the 'ndiswrapper' kernel module. In the end that kernel module (plus the files in '/etc/ndiswrapper') is IIRC all you need to successfully enable your USB stick (via modprobe ndiswrapper).

• I don't see any real point to execute a 'ndiswrapper -l' command during the boot process. What it does is just to list the available 'ndiswrapper' drivers (and possibly also the devices). To me that is more a command used for troubleshooting, but not to start up a device.

Offline floppy

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 10:37:33 AM »
Thanks Maro.
Everything was done as per your advices.
TCL4.4RC2 runs well and goes automatically into the net now (the USB was previously on the USB1.1 from the mainboard; I moved it to a newly purchased USB2.0 PCI card and it still runs well).
Now, I will try to use this wlan USB with antiX; but this is nothing for here.
This post is closed and solved.
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
.. all TinyCore proofed