WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How do I increase screen resolution?  (Read 7603 times)

Offline bill41

How do I increase screen resolution?
« on: December 01, 2010, 11:29:41 AM »
When I boot Tiny Core Linux 3.1 from live CD I include" tinycore Xsetup" and "acpi=off" in the bootloader.  As Tiny loads Xversa Resolution Setup offers me a maximum resolution of 800x600x16 that, when loaded, only occupies a rectangle of 8.5 inches (22cms) diagonal in the centre of the screen.  I understand that this may be the maximum resolution Tiny Core 'thinks' the graphics card in my Sony Vaio laptop is capable of.  But the 15 inch (approx 38cms) screen is capable of a resolution of 1400x1050x70.  What do I need to do to achieve this resolution? Step by step instructions would be much appreciated as I am relatively new to command line working. Many thanks. Bill

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: How do I increase screen resolution?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 11:50:46 AM »
You did not identify the video chip used, so no idea.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 11:55:03 AM »
xsetup not Xsetup
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline bill41

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 12:03:17 PM »
The Systems Resource report I produced when running Windows XP lists a Display Adapter as Intel(R) 82815Graphics Controller.  Is this the information you need?

Offline maro

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 12:11:09 PM »
bill41: For Xvesa it's probably best to run Xvesa -listmodes

My hunch is that 1400x1050 might not be amongst the supported modes (at least a quick look at this document makes me think that). OTOH there is always the 'Xorg-7.5.tcz' extension, albeit I personally try to avoid using it and also prefer Xvesa whenever possible.

Edit 1: I just remembered that I now have a widescreen notebook with a high resolution (not yet in regular use), and on this there are modes for 1400x1050 listed, so that might be better news.

Edit 2: If one wants to know the exact hardware it would be probably best to install the 'pci-utils.tcz' extension and execute: lspci -v
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:17:26 PM by maro »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 12:21:22 PM »
That chip might be too old for 915resolution, in which case you would need Xorg.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bill41

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 12:31:41 PM »
Many thanks maro.  Xvesa -listmodes also offers 800x600 as the maximum resolution.  I'll try your other suggestion in a while.  I seem to remember that when I booted Puppy Linux recently it offered me 1400x1050 but with a warning that it might not work - but it did.

Edit 1. And I think it was Xorg that Puppy Linux used. I'll try it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:33:59 PM by bill41 »

Offline bill41

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 12:43:29 PM »
I've loaded Xorg.  How do I restart X?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 01:02:27 PM »
Exit to a prompt, and run startx.

Offline bill41

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 01:12:28 AM »
I loaded Xorg-7.5.tcz and ran startx from the terminal. Nothing much happened. The icons at the bottom of the display area did a very little dance and that was all.  I also tries adding "1400x1050x70" to the bootloader sequence with =acpi=off" but that only produced the restricted darkened display I think I described above.

Anything else I might try to get a full screen display with Tiny Core? When I ran Xorg in Puppy Linux up came a Probe option that then offered me a range of increased resolutions up to 1400x1050, the latter being the resolution I have been using for years while running Windows.   

I noticed in one of the Tiny Core tutorials that it might be the case that the graphics card 'supports' a lower resolution than the screen is capable of.  Is this likely in this case? How does this work if I have been running this machine at 1400x1050 for years.   

I don't mind the size of the display - it is probably not much smaller than on a small notebook computer.  But when I run programmes like Firefox the area I see in the display is only part of the picture.  I need to use the scroll bars to see the rest - a bit of a pain.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 02:00:29 AM »
You could try to create a /etc/X11/xorg.conf based on values from your file in Puppy.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline bill41

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 03:24:18 AM »
Many thanks for the suggestion tinypoodle.  I'll have a go. But it may be a couple of days until I can let you know how it went - I'm a bit busy with other things for a bit.

Offline bill41

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 11:57:08 AM »
I have printed out the xorg.conf file from my Puppy Linux installation.  There seem to be two sections that include stuff with 1400x1050.  
Now I seem to be having syntax problems trying to get at the xorg.config file in Tiny Core - largely because I am not yet very competent in using the terminal.
What should I type in order to see the contents of the xorg.config file in Tiny Core?

Edit 1: Oh dear! I had forgotten to load Xorg-7.5.tcz again after rebooting. But I'm still not sure of the syntax.  Should I use X11 (Upper case X and one one) or lower case x and lower case letter l twice?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 12:26:00 PM by bill41 »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 12:52:48 PM »
Code: [Select]
less /etc/X11/xorg.conf
But you will need an editor of your choice anyway to edit the file...

Offline bill41

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 01:24:14 PM »
I have loaded geany to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.vesa file (the only file in the X11 directory, apart from a readme file about Xorg).  I have edited the file but when I try to save it I get a message that it is a read only file.  I tried using 'chmod' to change the permissions but still get:
"chmod: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.vesa: Read-only file system".

Perhaps I don't have permission to make such changes.  If I type / at the command prompt I get:
sh: /: Permission denied

Am I trying to run before I can walk with Linux and Tiny Core?