WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: FLIT time sound battery applet  (Read 16569 times)

Offline tinypoodle

Re: FLIT time sound battery applet
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 09:49:59 AM »
As for the fast, light apps - what about putting the "fl" at the end of the name.  You could have apps that are helpfl and usefl.  It would be beautifl.

rofl 
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 09:43:47 AM »
 :D

No, wait! That would be awfl.  :-[

Offline ACRizona

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 10:25:49 AM »
OK, OK, I've had about enough of this flit !

;D  ( do they make smilies with sound ? )

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 10:29:48 AM »
OK, OK, I've had about enough of this flit !

;D  ( do they make smilies with sound ? )

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪ ;) ♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 01:30:44 PM »
I couldn't get it to compile - /bin is always empty. I am loading all necessary extensions eg compiletc first.

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 08:11:26 PM »
Jur: do you have the Xorg7.5-dev.tcz installed?  There are some Xorg headers that are needed to compile Flit. 

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 11:33:38 PM »
Yes I am loading all header files, including Xorg-7.5-dev.

tc@box:~/temp$ ./build-tcz.sh > jur.log
cp: can't stat '/home/tc/temp/flit': No such file or directory
chmod: usr/local/bin/flit: No such file or directory
tc@box:~/temp$ ./build-tcz.sh

I get different error messages when extracting to /tmp, but boiling down to the same.

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 08:44:05 AM »
Jur: sorry I've been away, and even now I don't have much time to reply...  is it true you can compile the executable?  So it is only the .tcz packaging step that is failing? 

Look carefully at the built-tcz.sh script and see if there are any assumptions built into it that do not apply to you.  For example, it assumes that you are logged in as the normal 'tc' user, so /home/tc exists.  If that is not true, maybe you can modify it.  Or maybe the permissions are different in your environment.  It's hard for me to guess all the possibilities, of course.

Perhaps that script can be made more generic, so let us know if you find something that could be changed, please share.  Thanks.
--
ML

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 03:54:57 PM »
No... I have been tinkering with the build script to see what ends up in the directories before packing but it appears not compiling. I am sorry, I haven't looked further into it.

One question: Is this version of flit also compatible with other wms? ie will it be placed in an existing wm tray? This is the reason I ended up noit using it with tint2, it wouldn't go into the treay. Same with jwm.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 09:53:42 PM »
Yes tried that first. IIRC I also posed a Q on this board about it, don't think a solution came out of it.

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 11:33:39 AM »
One question: Is this version of flit also compatible with other wms? ie will it be placed in an existing wm tray?

@jur:  I don't have first-hand experience trying to use Flit with other WMs yet.  The latest updates from Jakob work in his WM and he hopes they work in many others.  I would like to hear how it works in various WMs, especially some of the more common ones like JWM. I can PM you about testing a pre-release extension.
--
ML

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 01:03:50 PM »
Yes by all means, PM me

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 03:10:24 AM »
OK, tried it with openbox wm and tint2 taskbar.

It does not show on all desktops - with or without using the -a option.
It does not go into tint2's tray. (Tint2 seems very compliant wrt tray apps - everything including windows apps goes into the tray if required.) I tried with and without -d (not sure what docking means though.)

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 05:44:55 AM »
@jur: Thanks for trying.  Hopefully, Jakob can investigate this sometime soon and either offer more usage instructions or a code update.

Offline Jakob Bysewski

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 02:52:49 AM »
Sorry for getting back to you so late - the pre-christmas time is just busy as hell.

The docking feature is meant to dock into the docking area of the window manager.
The docking option sets "_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK" for the fltk window which is a property the window manager should interpret and act upon.
This works in the window manager I use (i3) but I have not tested it with other window managers - this window capability will not make flit dock into any tray app (unless the window manager will hand applications with that property automagically to a tray app).

"_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK indicates a dock or panel feature. Typically a Window Manager would keep such windows on top of all other windows."
from http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/latest/ar01s05.html

In i3 applications with _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK set are put into a horizontal panel at the bottom of the desktop. Supposedly tint2 will also make use of this window property to make itself a dock application. It's possible that the way I set this property is not working on other window managers - I need to test this.

---

The "show on all desktops" option was pure experimental as my window manager does not yet have this feature (but I need it and will write a patch soon); so thank you for telling me it isn't working like it should.
It sends an event with _NET_WM_DESKTOP = 0xffffffff to the window manager - maybe it should be a window property like _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK. This also need's further testing.

---

For future updates it might be a good idea to test flit (and other custom) apps on other window managers as well (because the standards set by freedesktop are not always held by all window managers or parts like docking are omited); as this is not big deal I'm willing to do this for the next releases. What wm's are the most important ones for the tinycore community?

I currently think of a testing set like this:
flwm, jwm, fluxbox, i3 (as this is my main window manager)

---

After christmas I may investigate what's needed to make an application like flit cover itself into a dock application like tint2 and make the "on all desktops"-feature work - so thank you very much for your response!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:02:22 AM by Jakob Bysewski »