WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: what's the smallest web browser ?  (Read 4277 times)

Offline bill_max

what's the smallest web browser ?
« on: November 27, 2010, 11:25:45 PM »
After installed TC, I got the WINE, and the Midori . The WINE is 19MB,
and the Midori just 783 kB,  but it took with a large number of GTK+ / WebKit libs.
Is any other web browser takes few diskspace ?  And another smaller WINE ?

Offline TheNewbie

Re: what's the smallest web browser ?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 11:40:42 PM »
That depends on how many features you need. Midori is actually larger than most other browsers because of it's dependencies. Firefox, Opera, and Chrome are good browsers for normal usage, they each take 20-30 MB, including their respective deps. If you want the bare necessities, then dillo might be good for you. (0.95 MB, has no deps, according to the repository) Another option is chimera2 (256KB, also no deps).

Like I said, just the bare necessities. If you use them, you'll probably have to give up Flash, JS, CSS, and everything else besides static text and images. You may also want to check out FLOW; you'd have to contact the author to download the extension, but it's a supposed 19KB.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 11:49:49 PM by TheNewbie »

Offline Guy

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 11:50:36 PM »
If you open the App Browser. Click on an extension. Click on size. It will show you the total size, and how much you need to download (you may already have some dependencies in other apps).
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 12:02:58 AM »
Unless you are running in cloud mode, or copy2fs, download size is not the issue.
RAM usage ismore important.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 03:17:30 AM »
From all browsers existing in repo which I would have compared, about all of them with the exception of epiphany would be smaller than midori, if dependencies are included in total.

To answer the question of the thread literally, smallest browser I found in repo is netrik with 48Kb
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline bill_max

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 04:15:21 AM »
THANKS  for ALL~~

Offline OldAdamUser2

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 10:59:40 AM »
I often use Opera 9.64 and Namoroka (a Firefox built), but as mentioned above, Dillo2 is very fast and small. That said, Links (with the -g option for graphics) is small, fast, and handles more websites than Dillo.

Offline jerrylamos

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 03:01:47 PM »
dillo2 is pretty small and fast with little dependencies.  It does have a problem in not being able to log in to the tinycore forums.  I  could browse them but not login.

Jerry

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 03:20:19 PM »
If you do a forum search for "dillo", this has been reported/discussed in other threads  ;)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)