WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Local mirror of all extensions  (Read 6906 times)

Offline Ulysses_

Local mirror of all extensions
« on: November 26, 2010, 02:08:15 PM »
Rather than download extensions over and over in each attempt to get a combination that works, wasting server bandwidth and my time, I would like to save a copy of all currently existing extensions in a folder, and do my installations of selected extensions from there, instantly.

What's a simple way to do this?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Local mirror of all extensions
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 02:27:22 PM »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 07:11:54 PM »
If as you say saving bandwidth and time are your motivation, I'd doubt that mirroring could save any, in comparison to downloading every extension on first need and updating PPR occasionally.

Keep in mind that if downloading the whole repo of extensions initially, you will then have to keep in sync.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 07:40:39 PM »
What does "updating PPR" mean?

I have noticed danielibarnes installs his extensions using "tce-load -i" here, rather than download and then install them using "tce-load -w -i".  I think I should do the same.  

Shouldn't I duplicate them all just once from my local mirror that I will set up, to a DVD or .iso file or local folder, so that "tce-load -i" can be used and is instant?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 07:49:02 PM by Ulysses_ »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 07:49:21 PM »
What does "updating PPR" mean?

Personal Persistent Repositories of extensions
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 08:10:31 PM »
What about a caching proxy that uses hard disk space for its cache, is that simpler?  There must be a preconfigured vmware VM doing just that.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 08:27:59 PM »
What about a caching proxy that uses hard disk space for its cache, is that simpler?  There must be a preconfigured vmware VM doing just that.

Simpler than what?

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 09:15:01 PM »
A preconfigured persistent caching proxy running on another pc or vm would make the second time you tce-load -wi an extension much faster, which might be simpler than achieving the same speed increase by doing what is suggested above (getting required extensions from a local appbrowser server that needs setup, or downloading all existing extensions to a folder/DVD/.iso and duplicating them to the folder that tce-load -i installs from).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 09:22:14 PM by Ulysses_ »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 10:23:48 PM »
A preconfigured persistent caching proxy running on another pc or vm would make the second time you tce-load -wi an extension much faster, which might be simpler than achieving the same speed increase by doing what is suggested above (getting required extensions from a local appbrowser server that needs setup, or downloading all existing extensions to a folder/DVD/.iso and duplicating them to the folder that tce-load -i installs from).

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=7495.0

Before you post your question please note that it is very important to read the documentation provided.

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »
Look how much there is in the documentation:

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/tiki-index.php

Are you suggesting that I read everything remotely related to extensions in all these pages of documentation? 

And if I do that, then I will know that caching proxies are a bad idea, or that a live DVD holding all extensions (from which you choose what to install) is a bad idea?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 02:34:07 PM »
Yes, I suggest you read the wiki.
People have envested a lot of time documenting TCL.
To ask them to re-write it here in the fora is selfish.

As to including all the extensions on the CD, that is impossible.
The repo contains over 8G and would take 2 DVDs.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 03:47:53 PM »
Actually, the tcz repo minus the source directory is about 4.3GB, but nevertheless still very large.  And still much more efficient and recommended to only download what you need onto persistent storage, updating what you have occasionally as previously mentioned.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 05:46:48 PM »
Look how much there is in the documentation:

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/tiki-index.php

Are you suggesting that I read everything remotely related to extensions in all these pages of documentation? 

And if I do that, then I will know that caching proxies are a bad idea, or that a live DVD holding all extensions (from which you choose what to install) is a bad idea?

Beats me how my post of a single link plus a single quote from the linked content - in order to stress that part - could be so blatantly misinterpreted.

The link points to a sticky and locked thread consisting of a single post, where the founder and lead developer of this project states very clearly what the preconditions in order to ask any question in this forum are:

Before posting your question ...

You are supposed to have read and respected this before asking questions.

All I did was giving a simple pointer to that by linking.

Offline Guy

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Rather than download extensions over and over in each attempt to get a combination that works, wasting server bandwidth and my time, I would like to save a copy of all currently existing extensions in a folder, and do my installations of selected extensions from there, instantly.

What's a simple way to do this?

You can install extensions, and you can remove extensions. Rather than download extensions over and over, why not just remove those you don't want, and keep the others.

Here is a post on removing extensions.

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=7943.0

Extensions are updated often. If you do download all extensions, keeping up to date with the updates, will require a lot of downloading.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 02:26:34 PM »
You can install extensions, and you can remove extensions. Rather than download extensions over and over, why not just remove those you don't want, and keep the others.

Here is a post on removing extensions.

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=7943.0

Thanks.  Because of the backup, it seems possible to any beginner that adding 20 extensions and removing the 3 after some use and configuration may not the same as adding the 17 from scratch.  Removing extensions has been troubling people it seems, that must be why is has been debated to death.  I'd rather avoid it if possible.  It still seems possible, see below.

Extensions are updated often. If you do download all extensions, keeping up to date with the updates, will require a lot of downloading.

Of course, the idea was never to download all extensions from the repos over and over, but to use a mirror of my own or the equivalent that downloads them all just once and automatically syncs thereafter, and copy the lot from the local mirror at local gigabit rates, to a DVD or .iso or folder.  And do that at arbitrary intervals, just like any distro makes CD's/DVD's of itself at arbitrary intervals.

Installations would then be super fast, as they probably are already for TC developers when you guys have lots of extensions locally and can type "tce-load -i", rather than the "tce-load -w -i" that I have been typing.

Tinypoodle wait a moment, typing a reply to you.