WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Screen resolution in base setup [RESOLVED]  (Read 2928 times)

Offline philip

Screen resolution in base setup [RESOLVED]
« on: March 17, 2009, 08:37:57 PM »
Today I tried TinyCoreLinux for the first time. It is wonderful.

Here's Question One.
My monitor and video card can display 1600x1200@24bpp. This combination is not in any of the standard tables, and the setup script does not offer it as one of the possibilities. What is the best way to change the resolution used by TC's built-in X server when it starts? How can I make the change persist across reboots? Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:23:24 PM by philip »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Screen resolution in base setup
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 08:46:53 PM »
I don't believe (I may be wrong) that you can get this resolution with the Xvesa k-drive in the base tinycore.

If this is the case, you will need to use the Xorg extension - see the .info for details.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 09:36:44 PM »
You can get that resolution if everything goes well and is supported (seems to need 8mb+ of vram).

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 05:09:17 PM »
I am running at that refresh rate now with Xvesa and my monitor is at 87hz.  You have to manually edit ~/.xsession to get this refresh rate.  It should persist across reboots if you choose the backup option without any other action.

Offline philip

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 08:22:58 PM »
Thanks to all who responded. I tried Xorg in response to Juanito's reply and it worked nicely. Loading Xorg slows the boot process significantly, but after I eventually get things set up just right the machine will stay on for months. A few extra seconds can be forgiven.

Supplementary info (no response needed):
(1) The file ~/.xsession contains a screen resolution option on the Xvesa command. Changing a few numbers with one's favourite editor may work. That's what ^thehatsrule^ and Jason mean. I had other issues (not mentioned here) that seem to be managed well by Xorg. For now I'll stick with it.
(2) I was glad to have a usable xorg.conf file sitting around from my Gentoo installation. Editing that file in various distros/installs has stolen many hours of my (otherwise mostly happy) life.