WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: remastering not suitable for some extensions?  (Read 2347 times)

Offline P5music

remastering not suitable for some extensions?
« on: November 25, 2010, 07:13:18 AM »
Hello,
documentation says that hybrib mode is not suitable for certain extensions.
In fact I experienced this because I could not reproduce my system in hybrid mode: just some extensions were retained and others had to be loaded by tce but did not work yet.
But now I fear this is true with remastering too. That is: remastered tinycore will not reproduce my system.
Am I wrong with this?

Offline Guy

Re: remastering not suitable for some extensions?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 07:44:09 AM »
Very few people use the hybrid mode, and some things may not work properly. One possible reason for this, is that apps may not be loaded in the correct order. Using the normal mode, extensions are loaded in a particular order. Also, if there are any bugs with hybrid mode, they are not normally found and fixed.

It depends how you remaster.

If you just add extensions to a cd, all should work properly.

If you do a genuine remaster, you may have some of the same issues with hybrid mode. Most extensions should work. I did a remaster with just a few extensions, some time ago, and it worked properly.

The only way to know for sure, is to experiment.

You may even be able to fix some things. See if you can come up with some way to get things to load in the correct order.

I experimented, some time ago, with combining a group of extensions into a large extension. Most worked. From memory, some didn't, I think because of things were not loaded in the correct order.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 07:48:20 AM by Guy »
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline Guy

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 08:02:59 AM »
Since some things don't work properly with hybrid mode, it may be a good idea to remove it from the Modes of Operation, and remove references to it from the documentation.

How many new users do you see putting in local=sda1, then saying it doesn't work properly.

To get every extension to work properly in hybrid mode would be a huge amount of work.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 08:07:04 AM by Guy »
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 10:05:48 AM »
Besides from all the aspects Guy already mentioned - I don't think any direct conclusions wrt remastering could be drawn from hybrid install, especially not when being so unspecific.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)