WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: freerdp, kmaps package issues?  (Read 6144 times)

Offline jonathanbrickman0000

• PC TSC:  Easily turn a PC into a terminal server client
Re: freerdp, kmaps package issues?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 03:41:26 PM »
I see my errors :-)  Most of all, I was confusing local= with /usr/local, thinking that local= had to exist in order to persist /usr/local.  I made quite a few tests, and all is now behaving predictably :-)  I also removed the limit item.  I'll probably leave the tce= item in, to prevent non-technical-user-related issues :-)

Many many many thanks!!!!

J.E.B.

Offline maro

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 07:02:35 PM »
...  I'll probably leave the tce= item in, to prevent non-technical-user-related issues ...

I'd bet it will get you into a fair amount of trouble to use 'tce=DEV' (with DEV something like 'sdb1') if that installation ends up on a USB device. Because that's like saying "you'll always find the 'tce' directory on the first partition of the second SCSI (or SATA) device". Just assume a user has two USB pendrives and connects them at different times, or goes off and uses someone elses computer, or maybe even plugs them into a different USB connector of the same computer. The device name of this USB pendrive has the potential to be different every time (e.g. 'sda' one time 'sdb' the next).

It is for this very reason that the FAQ puts a strong emphasis on using UUID (or LABEL) instead of a device name. Likewise the 'usbinstall' script uses UUID.

And one more thing: To be on the safe side without "waisting" wait time I'd suggest to use 'waitusb=X:UUID=...' (with a high value for 'X' like 20). This way TC will wait a maximum of 'X' seconds, but not longer then it takes for it to detect a device with the specific UUID.

Offline jonathanbrickman0000

• PC TSC:  Easily turn a PC into a terminal server client
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 01:06:59 PM »
Thoroughly agreed.  I'm also not sure if /dev/sd** is really stable enough under SATA, especially eSATA situations.  In the future I will set up for UUID, it sounds to me like a very good idea.

But a question:  do you know how UUID's are created?  I seem to remember an article by Linus Torvalds two or three years ago expressing some concerns about their reliability, but I did not understand why.

J.E.B.

Offline maro

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 04:45:22 PM »
...  do you know how UUID's are created?  ...

AFAIK there are several possible functions that are providing such a capability: In BusyBox there is 'generate_uuid()' (in 'libbb/xfuncs_printf.c'), but I'm pretty sure that it does not play much of a role in TC. AFAIK TC is not using the 'mkfs.ext2' from BusyBox, but the following settings indicates to me that 'mkswap' uses said function:
Code: [Select]
CONFIG_MKSWAP=y
CONFIG_FEATURE_MKSWAP_UUID=y
OTOH the BusyBox source contains a reference to a RFC plus some quote from the same, which might be of interest.

As TC uses the EXT2FS library (v1.41.11) for its 'mkfs.ext[2-4]' I have reason to believe that the 'uuid_generate()' function (see link to the source code) is instrumental in creating the UUID when one creates an EXT[2-4] file system with TC.

For other file systems created with other tools one would have to look for similar functions.