WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: problem with free space  (Read 7775 times)

Offline navoye

problem with free space
« on: November 21, 2010, 04:29:16 PM »
Hello,
I'm a newbie in linux.
got TC instaled on DOM on HP terminal. It works fine and do almost all things that i need, but it was realy hard for me to install and configure it.
Now i need to install Samba on it, but when i try to do it appbrowser gives me error and cant do that. I realized that propably my problem is free space. In home/tc/stats.txt it looks like this:

Filesystem          Size          Used          Available            Use%            Mounted on
tmpfs                  96.6M       29.6M           66.4M               31%             /
tmpfs                  53.3M             0             53.3M                 0%            /dev/shm
/dev/hda1           22.8         16.7M             4.9M                77%            /mnt/hda1

So i dont have enough free space on hda1 to download samba.

My question is: Is there any way to instal samba on my machine without new instalation?
Please help, due my small knowledge about linux systems step by step instruction will be the best for me, but i will be grateful for all hints.

ps. sorry for my english, i tried to do my best

Offline maro

Re: problem with free space
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 04:52:05 PM »
I assume you have set your 'tce' directory to be on '/dev/hda1' (check via cat /opt/.tce_dir). According to the 'Size' tab in the 'appbrowser' the 'samba3.tcz' extension will need (with it's dependencies) ca. 29MB. So you are out of luck.

If you wanted to do just a "once-off" installation I'd image you could force yourself back into "cloud mode" via echo /tmp/tce > /opt/.tce_dir But that means the downloaded files are "lost" as soon as you reboot.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 05:11:08 PM »
Note that doing as maro suggested (and appears to be the quickest fix) would leave you with 29 MB less of working RAM.

According to your circumstances you might want to consider to extend your available storage or to mount extensions over a local net.
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/Netbooting&highlight=nfs%20extensions#PXE_and_PPR_TCZ_on_an_NFS_share
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline navoye

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 05:30:21 PM »
yes, my tce directory is on /dev/hda1
i dont understand "back to cloud mode" - i will lost all my settings, programs  and files?
i must back to cloud, then change partition size and then i need to instal all over again?
is there any way to mount for exacly pendrive and download samba on it, then install it?
i need samba becouse i want to mount pendrive and share space on it for others computers.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 05:41:28 PM »
1. When running in cloud mode you can still use backup/restore for all personal and customized files.

2. If you have a pendrive at disposition then just use that instead of your current hda1 to set the tce dir.

"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline navoye

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 05:49:46 PM »
can You please tell me how to set tce dir on pendrive? like i said, i'm a newbie

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 05:55:57 PM »

Offline navoye

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 06:11:55 PM »
thank You! last questions(i hope) - can i place tce dir on tmpfs? why do i have 2 tmpfs, and only one is mounted?
If You dont mind and answer it i will read it tomorow couse i live in gmt+1 zone and now is time to go to bed, but i will go much happier after all Yours replies :)
thank you one more time

Offline Guy

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 06:54:26 PM »
I don't know what kind of computer you have.

You can only have the tce directory on a usb drive, if you have a newer computer which can boot from a usb drive.

If you have an old computer which cannot boot from a usb drive, you cannot put the tce directory on the usb drive, as it cannot access the drive early enough in the boot process to load extensions.

I mention this because some people are using old computers.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 06:55:42 PM »
thank You! last questions(i hope) - can i place tce dir on tmpfs?

That sounds to me as what maro suggests in post #2.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 07:08:11 PM »
I don't know what kind of computer you have.

You can only have the tce directory on a usb drive, if you have a newer computer which can boot from a usb drive.

If you have an old computer which cannot boot from a usb drive, you cannot put the tce directory on the usb drive, as it cannot access the drive early enough in the boot process to load extensions.

I mention this because some people are using old computers.

Wrong, the boot medium which needs to contain the kernel and probably (not 100% sure if there could be ways around that) the initrd has to be accessible by the BIOS.

Nothing speaks against mounting the tce dir from USB when USB is not a boot option, even with onboot items (the same applies for restoring the backup from USB).

In fact there are certain ways to bootstrap to a kernel and initrd contained on a USB device even if the BIOS does not offer any USB boot options, but that would be more complex and beyond the scope of this thread.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 07:40:58 PM by tinypoodle »

Offline Guy

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 07:38:59 PM »

Wrong, the boot medium which needs to contain the kernel and probably (not 100% sure if there could be ways around that) the initrd has to be accessible by the BIOS.

Nothing speaks against mounting the tce dir from USB when USB is not a boot option.

Have you done this in real life, or are you speaking theoretically.

This information is to make it simple for new users.

If a person simply puts their tce directory on a usb drive, and the computer cannot boot from the usb drive, it cannot access the drive early enough in the boot process to load extensions.

It is possible to do many things.

Theoretically, it is possible to start Tiny Core without extensions, and then use Install Local later. You could also write a script to load extensions. This is a waste of time, and new users will get confused.

There are also other boot methods which enable the usb drive to be accessed. Again, this makes it more complicated, and would confuse new users.

Offline Guy

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 07:49:57 PM »
To make this information more complete:

If people want to boot Tiny Core, or any other operating system, from a usb drive, but their bios does not allow for this, they can use the Plop Boot Manager.

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

Most people who have a computer which cannot boot from a usb drive, are better off installing Tiny Core on the hard drive.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 09:56:04 PM by Guy »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 08:05:59 PM »

Nothing speaks against mounting the tce dir from USB when USB is not a boot option.

Have you done this in real life, or are you speaking theoretically.

Yes, on more than one PC which had no BIOS option to boot from USB and even with USB 1.1 ports.
Booting as well from CD, PATA HDD, pxelinux netboot (and with onboot items).

As far as I understand, the way TC is designed, there is no direct relation between the boot medium and the medium of the PPR (tce) and the backup.

If a person simply puts their tce directory on a usb drive, and the computer cannot boot from the usb drive, it cannot access the drive early enough in the boot process to load extensions.

Yes it can, all that is required is proper usage of the "waitusb=" boot parameter which is sufficiently documented.
Never having booted TC myself from a USB medium, but I could not see that there would be any difference at all, as when it comes to mount the storage medium, the system is already extracted to RAM (theoretically the boot medium could have been removed).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:20:12 PM by tinypoodle »

Offline Guy

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 08:32:37 PM »
If it does work, I stand corrected. I have not checked.

I tried this a long time ago, with version 1.x, and it did not work then.

Maybe things have changed with the newer versions.