WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Gnome-MPlayer Extension - Request for Advice  (Read 12551 times)

Offline SamK

Re: Gnome-MPlayer Extension - Request for Advice
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2010, 02:18:17 AM »
For the sake of accuracy the size of gnome-icon-theme.tcz in repo is stated as 7.63 MB.
However, of course this is still more than enough to bother.
25.2MB is the size reported by emelFM2 once decompressed.

What I would try in such a case is making a customized "fat-free" extension which contains only the files really required.
My understanding is that this is synonymous with the action of my second bullet point.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2010, 04:24:34 AM »
For the sake of accuracy the size of gnome-icon-theme.tcz in repo is stated as 7.63 MB.
However, of course this is still more than enough to bother.
25.2MB is the size reported by emelFM2 once decompressed.

Makes sense...

What I would try in such a case is making a customized "fat-free" extension which contains only the files really required.
My understanding is that this is synonymous with the action of my second bullet point.

Ok, seems I hadn't exactly understood then.

The more conservative and safe approach would be to remove everything redundant from a package.

What I would try in specific case would be to copy all the files not ending in .png plus the required icons, all with their full path.

I could imagine proper use of gtk-update-icon-cache might also be indicated, after installing the icons.

"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline SamK

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2010, 07:31:40 AM »

i have discovered two other notification daemons notify-osd and xfce4-notifyd, tested from base, both working ok
This is encouraging news.  Do you intend to submit them to the repository?  Checking Lubuntu 10.10 reveals that notify-osd is installed as the default.  I for one would welcome an opportunity to use it in TC.

yes i will submit them soon
@ Arslan S.
Just wanted to express my thanks for submitting both new extensions so quickly. 

While looking into notify-osd I came across this site, https://launchpad.net/notifyconf   
Quote from: abstract from web site
This application can customize the colours, fonts, and size of various elements of the Ubuntu's notification bubbles. The time they stay can also be adjusted.
It seems that this will provide the same type of configuration as is available with xfce4-notifyd.  Were you aware of this one?

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2010, 08:42:39 AM »
no i didn't know notifyconf but after a bit investigation i can say :
it has no stable release,
it looks to be in very early stage, latest trunk revision is 7,
and it is not available in repositories of ubuntu, debian
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 08:45:32 AM by Arslan S. »