WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tinycore_v3.3rc3  (Read 13588 times)

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
Re: tinycore_v3.3rc3
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 11:34:13 AM »
I just tried out Tiny Core 3.3rc3 (really microcore_3.3rc3 with corel ements, wbar and jwm).  I like it.

Fluff is excellent.
  I particularly like the "use sudo" button.
  The menu item "insert in trash" seems ripe for a name change.  Conceptually, sending something to the trash seems more like a "delete" operation than an "insert" operation.  How about "send to trash"?
  It might be nice to have a "view" menu item for scripts, as well as an "edit".

I liked mfm, too, and didn't really have time to give it a real shakedown.  Any chance of having that as an extension?

"editor" is great.  I've never had a good relationship with vi.
  "editor" seems to use C language syntax highlighting regardless of the file being edited.  If you edit, for instance, /etc/init.d/rc.shutdown, the entire bottom half of the file is colored green as if it were a comment because the script includes the slash-asterisk character pair.

Lee
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 05:39:25 PM »
for convenience, is possible to change the order of the control panel buttons?,
since the floppydrive is vestigial in some computers and instead is more common mount and unmount devices, to:

Mount Tool
Floppy Tool
Mouse Tool
Wallpaper
System Stats
Then I would get complaints that it is not in sorted order and that some sort of search buttons function is needed.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 06:06:27 PM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 05:48:15 PM »
A very trivial thing.

I think Wallpaper would be better called Background.

It is not a wall, and it is not paper. It is a background image.

This also makes it consistent with /opt/backgrounds.
If named Background, then sort order would make mount tool not first see prior post.

Wallpaper or Background? Typically I see Desktop Background, as background typically has a different meaning.  And Wallpaper is shorter than Desktop Background.

FWIW: Viewing Wikipedia shows Windows, until Vista, used Wallpaper whereas Windows Vista now uses Desktop Background. And seems the way Windows goes so too does the Linux distributions. Current Ubuntu now uses Desktop Background.

Perahps I should just drop control panel. I don't see such in the latest Ubuntu, so is must mean it is not in Vista or beyond.

Have we entered silly season?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 06:07:08 PM by roberts »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 05:52:56 PM »
"editor" is great.  I've never had a good relationship with vi.
  "editor" seems to use C language syntax highlighting regardless of the file being edited.  If you edit, for instance, /etc/init.d/rc.shutdown, the entire bottom half of the file is colored green as if it were a comment because the script includes the slash-asterisk character pair.

I really think that a minimal editor, which I wanted, should not be trying to do C/C++ syntax highlighting. There are many programmer editors to choose from in the repository. Cutting such results in significant savings. C/C++ color synatx serves no purpose for which this function is intended, an aid for new users to easily edit basic configuration files.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 05:59:03 PM »
The menu item "insert in trash" seems ripe for a name change.  Conceptually, sending something to the trash seems more like a "delete" operation than an "insert" operation.  How about "send to trash"?
  It might be nice to have a "view" menu item for scripts, as well as an "edit"

On point one, "insert" was used as that is the hotkey "Ins" used to send (insert) to trash.
Perhaps there another hotkey is available which is easily remembered.

On point two, simply edit your .fluff.conf to add more supported extension types and more associations in their respective sections. Later a GUI program will be made available for such.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 06:09:05 PM by roberts »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 06:03:47 PM »
I liked mfm, too, and didn't really have time to give it a real shakedown.  Any chance of having that as an extension?

I have no plans to continue with mfm. Having one tiny FLTK based file manager is sufficient for us. Besides the original author of mfm has not updated it. I have had it and used it since pre 1.0 days. Since Mike, has taken the effort to make and maintain a more modern file manager, that is what we will have. My time will be better spent elsewhere. If anyone wants my slightly modified source I will glad supply.

Offline Guy

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 06:24:03 AM »
Perhaps I should just drop control panel.

All of the things in the control panel could be in the menu. Then the control panel is not necessary.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 01:23:54 PM »
CP has been such an integral part of tcl I would be sorry to see it go - it's iconic.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 01:42:30 PM »
I don't mean to be curt with requests regarding CP.

Perhaps there are some CP items that would better served on Wbar and System Tools menu?

Especially now that WbarConf allows the user to decide on content.

I am thinking AppsAudit and Mount Tool on default wbar. I would need to find some appropriate icons for them. Leaving CP for less often used items.

That might satisfy the need for easy and quick access to these items.

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 02:47:08 PM »
I really think that a minimal editor, which I wanted, should not be trying to do C/C++ syntax highlighting.

I agree completely.

On point one, "insert" was used as that is the hotkey "Ins" used to send (insert) to trash.

I hadn't paid attention to the hot keys before.  That makes it a bit clearer.  Trash is like "higher level" delete, so the key above delete is for trash.

On point two, simply edit your .fluff.conf to...

Ok, then.  Lots fun to be had there.  Thanks.

I have no plans to continue with mfm.

I snarfed the files for both mfm and fluff from the rcs and I'm playing with them in my current 3.0 setup.  Moving to fluff was clearly the way to go, no question about that.

CP has been such an integral part of tcl I would be sorry to see it go - it's iconic.
Hmmm... I think its more "buttonic" than "iconic".   ;D  (I can hear the groans from here.)
It would be cool if it were user configurable (to add buttons to it), though I don't know that it would be worth much time or distro-space.
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 04:18:04 PM »
It would be cool if it were user configurable (to add buttons to it), though I don't know that it would be worth much time or distro-space.

+1   ;D
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 05:40:16 PM »
In my case I am using AppsAudit more often than CP, so usually there are several clicks to get hold of AppsAudit. Putting it instead of CP on wbar is quite a nice suggestion.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 09:24:49 PM »
I found some icons for AppsAudit and MountTool. So I have added them to the default wbar. If you don't use or like these, one can always use WbarConf to "remove" (xwbar.lst) them. Will be in rc4 which is nearly ready for public testing.

Offline Miller

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 01:59:26 AM »
I am thinking AppsAudit and Mount Tool on default wbar.

If the TC team were to sanction such change, it would be impossible to exaggerate my level of endorsement.

Miller.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 04:43:42 PM »
Icons found.  Curaga found better one than I did. Both AppsAudit and MountTool are now in both Wbar and System Tools menu for rc4.