WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tinycore_v3.3rc3  (Read 13587 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
tinycore_v3.3rc3
« on: November 14, 2010, 05:36:22 AM »
The Thrid Release Candidate of v3.3 (tinycore_3.3rc3.iso), is now posted and ready for testing.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/release_candidates

tinycore_3.3rc3.iso
tinycore_3.3rc3.iso.md5.txt

Change log for Tiny Core v3.3:

rc1
* New FLTK integrated file manager, mfm, file associations, i.e, double click to edit/run directly from file manager.
* New FLTK minimal editor, on System Tools menu, and called via File Manager configurable file associations.
* New tce-run - load and run tcz, e.g., tce-run xmms, This is the association to run .tcz directly from file manager.
* Updated tce-audit to support default pathing and ext (.tcz) greatly improves CLI usage.
* Updated tce-setdrive to support call via AppBrowser.
* Updated AppBrowser - integrated setdrive. A "Set" button is initialized when Cloud Mode is detected.
* New wbarconf replaces wbar_exclude. Manage all icons (system and ondemand), as well as bar placement.
* New wbar_mv_icon for support of wbarconf.
* Updated ondemand generated scripts to pass command line arguments.
* New boot code nozswap - Skip compressed swap in ram.
* Updated and reorganized boot help screens f2 f3 f4
* Updated Control Panel reorganization. Moved more frequently used items to the System Tools menu.
    Moved AppsAudit to System Tools menu.
    Moved Run Command to System Tools menu.
* Updated System Tools menu reorganization. Moved less frequently used items to Control Panel.
    Moved PPI Setup to Control Panel
    Moved TermServer Setup to Control panel.
* Updated wbar for new file manager icon, removable via the new wbarconf.

rc2
* Updated wbar_setup and wbar_rm_icon for parsing errors.
* Updated control panel grouping and reorganization.
* Updated control panel rename Setup PPI to Hybrid Mode
* Updated mktclocal for title change to Hybrid Mode.
* Updated isolinux.cfg for F4 f4 boot help screen.
* Updated tce-load to un-mount meta (empty) extensions.
* Updated mfm to remove Alt-Fn keys for View Toggle option.

rc3
* New fluff file manager replaces mfm.
* Updated ondemand, appsaudit, and wbar_setup for single ondemand dir - dropped ondemand.ico/
* Updated flwm_initmenu - to support combined single ondemand directory. 
* New flwm_ondemand - to support combined single ondemand directory.
* Updated cpanel WbarConf replaces TCE Update.
* Updated boot.msg to include F4 boot help screen.
* Updated tc-config - dropped settime boot code.
* Updated tc-config - moved wait_scsi_scan inside nofstab check.

Note: In order to move to a single ondemand directory do the follwing:
1. remove all ondemand items
2. rmdir ondemand.ico
3. recreate ondemand items.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: tinycore_v3.3rc3
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 05:45:05 AM »
A special thanks to MikeLockmoore for his extra effort to complete fluff file manager for this release candidate.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 07:29:11 AM »
A special thanks to MikeLockmoore for his extra effort to complete fluff file manager for this release candidate.

I'm trying out this version on qemu and so far so good. I really like fluff it is an excellent addition to the tinycore base system. Tinycore has come a long way since I started using it. Thanks to all.
big pc man

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 10:23:40 AM »
A note about Fluff File Manager:

We hope you like it, but Fluff is a work-in-progress.  It has some known bugs and issues:

1) Sometimes, the first click in the right-side file list is ignored, especially when first opening Fluff or clicking on a new directory in the left-side directory tree view

2) Sometimes, clicking in the right-side list highlights many more than just one file (same situations as number 1)

3) Sometimes Fluff will crash when clicking the file detail column headers, as you do to change the sort order

4) While there is a GUI window in Fluff to add, delete, change, and reprioritize the associated application for file types, there is not currently a GUI to modify or add new file types.  One can edit the .fluff.conf file (carefully!) to add types.  Perhaps soon we will have a file type GUI (maybe in a future version of TC).

5) The help file is still incomplete and in some places, not clearly written

6) Some error messages may not be clear; if an operation fails, think about whether you need to use the "sudo" mode

7) Quirk: to select a range of files, you can click-and-drag in 2nd or farther-right columns, but if drag in the 1st (file name) column, Fluff assumes you want to drag the file(s) to another location

The following are not planned features at this time, but perhaps, in the farther future, they could be:
* There is no icon view or thumbnail view of files
* Drag-and-drop currently works within Fluff, but probably won't work with external applications
* Better compliance and support for existing standards for interaction of desktops and applications

If you come up with a repeatable way that Fluff crashes, let me know.  If we need to, we can set up a Fluff-specific thread someplace. Thanks!
--
Mike Lockmoore

Offline maro

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 01:48:44 PM »
Minor comment about the explanation in 'isolinux/boot.msg': I've realised that some users think that they can only use a boot code after pressing one of the 'F[2-4]' keys. Maybe that could be clearified by using
    Press <Enter> to begin or F2, F3, or F4 to see some help about the boot options
instead.

Another observation re. 'fluff': I resized the 'perm.' column which was OK as long as I made it larger. Decreasing it's size afterwards did not seem to work. After a dozen or so attempts I was suddenly able to shrink it, but could not grow it again. Certainly not a high priority, but maybe something to add to the list of known quirks.

And one more about 'fluff': When in "cloud mode" and selecting the 'TCE' button one gets a pop-up box with "No TCE drive selected ..." and no change of the directory. I think even in "cloud mode" it's a legitimate request to see the 'tce' directory. So maybe instead of a refusal the user could get a suitable warning, but still get's to "see" the 'tce' directory.

Offline jls

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 02:33:26 PM »
I've this in ~/.profile
 export FLWM_TITLEBAR_COLOR=00:00:00
and this in ~/.X:defaults
fltk*scheme:gtk+
fltk*background:black
Text.background:black
fltk*foreground:lightblue
fltk*selectBackground:black

and in fluss I cannot see the even rows  (hilighting them solves the problem), I've attached a screenshot to better understand the problem
dCore user

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 02:51:25 PM »
FYI

Found and fixed a bug in /etc/init.d/rc.shutdown. Upon extentsion removals for ondemand items the ".img" file was still accessing the ondemand.ico/

If you happen to use appsaudit to remove an extension and such extension happends to be ondemand, then for this release candidate, you will have to manually delete the ".img" file leftover in the ondemand directory. Failure to do so will result in a bogus wbar icon of the removed extension.

I have fixed this for the next release.

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 03:00:45 PM »
@jls_legalize: Thanks for pointing it out.  Fluff tries to utilize color settings info from the window manager, but you can see that it does not do a complete job.  I'll see if I can make fluff more usable with color settings like this.   -- ML

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 02:39:00 AM »
Small typo in CP: Maintenace

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 06:15:19 AM »
Got it. Thanks.

Offline Guy

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 06:27:30 AM »
I just installed rc3. Only been using it a very short time.

The bug mentioned previously in Apps Audit still exists.

If you click on OnBoot -> Maintenance, then OnDemand -> Maintenance, the list of extensions on the left is repeated, even if you click Exit OnBoot before clicking OnDemand -> Maintenance. Scroll down to the middle, you will see the end of the list and where it starts again.

I understand the the file manager is a work in progress. An observation:

It seems, as a normal user you can perform functions which you would normally only be able to perform if started using sudo. This makes it easy for new users or children to mess up the operating system. Have you ever watched children on a computer. They just try anything and see what happens. They can mess up older versions of Windows real quick.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 07:36:38 AM »
Oh, I did OnDemand then OnBoot which worked. Got it. It's fixed now. Thanks.

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 10:08:29 AM »
@Guy: Yes, sudo is a sharp tool, and Fluff leaves out there within easy reach.  Maybe we could have a "lock-out" option in the Fluff config file: "DisableUseSudo = n"  where n is 1 for the case you describe.  However, if you really are configuring the computer for kids or untrusted people, won't you give them a distinct login that is not in the sudoers list?  In other words, if the user account is properly constrained, "use sudo" won't confer any significant/dangerous abilities. 

Offline Onyarian

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 03:33:44 AM »
for convenience, is possible to change the order of the control panel buttons?,
since the floppydrive is vestigial in some computers and instead is more common mount and unmount devices, to:

Mount Tool
Floppy Tool
Mouse Tool
Wallpaper
System Stats

Offline Guy

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 05:39:23 AM »
A very trivial thing.

I think Wallpaper would be better called Background.

It is not a wall, and it is not paper. It is a background image.

This also makes it consistent with /opt/backgrounds.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.