WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How to load backup from pxeboot?  (Read 3354 times)

Offline peedee

How to load backup from pxeboot?
« on: November 04, 2010, 05:56:05 PM »
Because its my first post, hi every one.

I managed to setup an pxe boot server and load tinycore, i'm able to save to the nfs drive/map and every thing seems oke to me. but when i reboot no settings are loaded?

my boot config:
LABEL 2
  kernel /images/tiny/bzImage
  append initrd=/images/tiny/tinycore.gz nfsmount=192.168.1.8:/home/tftpboot/images/tiny

Do i miss something???

b.t.w. i'm using the latest tinycore an linuxpxe.0

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: How to load backup from pxeboot?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 06:30:20 PM »
Make sure you are running V3.3rc2 or heed the note in the netboot wiki about the path names.
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/Netbooting#PXE_and_PPR_TCZ_on_an_NFS_share

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 01:21:49 PM »
[removed empty poll]

Offline peedee

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 03:02:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply,

With V3.3rc2 i'm able to backup, but i can't download packages. (maybe there is no repo for the release candidate??)

But i noticed that V3.3rc2 tries to get an ip address from the dhcp3-server my tftp-server is running on, wile 3.2 does not, it probably gets it's ip from the dhcp server on my isp-router and connects.
I tried static ip configuration but this also didn't work with 3.3rc2 (did not tried 3.2)

I also changed the ip-range in the dhcp3-config, because otherwise the nfs server is rejecting the mount request.
The server gives 192.168.1.11, tiny-core takes 192.168.1.8 and is unknown with the same mac address. (don't know which version) For those who think it's strange that i could save before without out changing the ip range, that's probably because i'm using my laptop now.

I'm really a network noob, but is there a way to make tiny core takes the same ip address as when its getting downloaded, from the tftpserver (like other disto's do)?  Or do i really need to chance my whole setup to the needs of v3.2?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 03:12:20 PM »
Perhaps an easier (and better supported) way might be if you could fire up TC on your "mothership-box" and run the 'tc-terminal-server' script.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 03:14:55 PM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 05:43:16 PM »
TC doesn't try to get an IP from any specific dhcp server.
It sends a dhcp request.  The dhcp server answers.
You should not run 2 dhcp servers.
If the one on the router answers first, it does not send the proper next server for tftpboot.

This is not a TCL problem.

Offline peedee

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 07:25:42 PM »
This is not a TCL problem.

Indeed, i logged in to remove the post i just made, because it doesn't make sense, but there was already replied to it.

I don't know what the problem was but everything is working fine now  :)

So one further question, how do i mark this topic as solved?

Offline tinypoodle

Re: How to load backup from pxeboot? [SOLVED]
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 07:46:19 PM »
Hit "modify" in at least the first post  (or better do same in all of them) and in "Subject:" box append [SOLVED]
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)