WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Flash upgrade  (Read 30680 times)

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
Flash upgrade
« on: March 15, 2009, 08:49:43 AM »
Got my first notice about needing a flash upgrade:

http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/cnbc/?r=3074&id=2992-1904009-kqJbUjx

(Requires more than copying the version 10  libflashplayer.so to /opera/plugins)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 09:54:45 AM by jpeters »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Flash upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 10:27:31 AM »
See the faq:
http://tinycorelinux.com/faq.html#flash

Currently Flash 10 is not compatible with TC.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 10:56:10 AM »
See the faq:
http://tinycorelinux.com/faq.html#flash

Currently Flash 10 is not compatible with TC.

Yeah...well I think it needs to be....Being able to access things like facebook and the news is
basic to using a browser.  Flash 10 integrates fine with a (fairly) lightweight OS like puppy. Hope there is a not_too_painful solution.

Edit: Flash 10 requires libcurl3, libnspr4-0d, libnss3-1d, and libssh2-1 to function
Edit2: ...guess it requires more than that..I tried installing libs above, and still didn't work. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 12:03:35 PM by jpeters »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 12:44:39 PM »
Yeah, besides curl and firefox libs, it needs glibc > 2.4
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 01:37:30 PM »
Didn't work with support libs + glib-2.4.1, although I used a minimal 2.2M package

edit: don't think glib is the issue. It could be Opera, but didn't have any luck with a downloaded Firefox version either (although that seemed to crash with either version....)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 03:07:27 PM by jpeters »

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 03:41:05 PM »
Note that glib is not glibc

glibc is the core (gnu) c library.  If changed, it can drastically affect the system.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 04:02:25 PM »
Note that glib is not glibc

glibc is the core (gnu) c library.  If changed, it can drastically affect the system.

oops...   :).

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 09:38:24 PM »
it's times like this that it's obvious how important free software is.

if adobe didn't call the shots, websites would have the good sense to support gnash. but adobe calls the shots, because gnash is still a dream. 5 years from now, i hope adobe is not still loading the internet with proprietary content... and i'm not saying it to sound "cool." i'm saying it because the internet is not supposed to be viewable only through plugins controlled by a single corporation. no better if microsoft loses at branding the internet, and adobe wins.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 10:39:38 PM »
There's probably a place for both. At least companies like Adobe, Skype, etc, are now offering linux support, and putting out quality products. I'm currently using Opera (and Skype).  Last I checked, Adobe was far ahead of any freeware project, although I'd love to see some competition. 

From Ars Technica, Oct 17, 2008:   

"The web collectively got a bit shinier this week with Adobe's release of Flash Player 10. The new version offers designers a compelling set of new features including support for rich 3D visual effects, a new antialiasing engine, an improved drawing API, support for color management, and enhanced support for streaming audio and video content. With this release, Adobe is clearly taking steps to ensure that Flash stays ahead of the curve and won't lose traction in the face of competitive pressure from Silverlight."

Also noted was better support for "alternative operating systems"
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 10:47:32 PM by jpeters »

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 11:14:38 PM »

I just built and installed glibc-2.8.8 into /usr/local/lb .....  haven't noticed any adverse effects yet.

edit: Flash 10 Crashed Firefox 2.0.0.20, with error:
edit2: Same error with Seamonkey 1.1.14

Code: [Select]
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: ../sysdeps/generic/dl-tls.c: 75: _dl_next_tls_modid: Assertion `result <= _rtld_local._dl_tls_max_dtv_idx' failed!

edit: conflict between different versions of libs?

Flash 9 works great...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 09:16:02 AM by jpeters »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 05:02:01 AM »
I had built glibc 2.7 on TC last fall and had no success with Flash 10 though I had all the dependencies met.  I did not look into why as I was lightly experimenting. 

On one hand, there is desire for TC to use uclibc for smaller size.  On the other, there is a desire for an updated glibc to support some more modern apps like flash.  For the time being, I think glibc-2.3.6 fits into a happy medium as it is smaller than the current glibc yet is compatible with most things other than Flash 10.  Not to mention it is very stable. 

Not that there will never come a time to upgrade glibc, but as it is the single most important part of the system it is an upgrade that would require much testing and consideration.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 06:49:33 PM »
I tried a remaster, updating /lib with glibc-2.8.8 + the modules, udev, libuuid, etc.  from the present release.  It booted okay, but didn't load any extensions. Aterm just flashed, so I couldn't really do much with it.  I wasn't expecting much, but wanted to give it a try. 

edit: I got it loading with aterm, the appsbrowser, and control panel...it doesn't load mountpoint, so can't get to hd.  I might be wrong, but it doesn't seem like it would be much trouble upgrading glibc (for someone who knew what they were doing  :)  )   Cost looks like about +5M (perhaps it could be stripped down) Note: this includes files to /sbin /etc/ /lib, and /libexec

« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 12:18:07 AM by jpeters »

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 01:46:58 AM »

Not that there will never come a time to upgrade glibc, but as it is the single most important part of the system it is an upgrade that would require much testing and consideration.

okay...lfs

Offline kerpob

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 03:20:16 AM »
Here is someone who got flash 10 working without changing glibc to 2.4 - maybe a tce can be developed from it?

http://svolli.org/software/eeepc/#flash10patcher
eee user. From Xandros to Debian via Breeezy to TCL.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 08:07:43 AM »
I had seen that before and was going to try it but forgot the url.  The new flash player is built against glibc-2.4 to include stack smashing protection, and the flash patcher simply makes the flash binary request glibc-2.3.  I tried the flash patcher on the latest flash, and it crashed the instant I went to youtube.  But it was worth a try.