WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Help persistent  (Read 1796 times)

Offline TinyFan

Help persistent
« on: October 31, 2010, 02:26:32 PM »
Hi there,

Is there an easy way to make files persistent on my usb?

I checked the forum and the wiki but it never works without alot of trouble and looking for answers at the internet. I know to make /home /opt and /etc persistent but it takes to much time for me to get it done every time I install it on a usb stick. Is there another way to get this done faster and easier? :) Would make my tinycore experience even more fun. :D

Grtz.

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Help persistent
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 02:34:56 PM »
The easy way - and best supported - is default; using the "backup" feature (before shutdown), and "restore" at next boot, it's well documented.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 02:38:06 PM »
What files are you talking about? Extensions? They should be in a /tce directory.

For slow devices as a pendrive you should have a waitusb=10 boot code to ensure both backup and /tce are ready and available.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline TinyFan

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 06:17:50 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I am going to try the backup option, Never really got it working somehow. Maybe waitusb=10 will help me out, I'll check the wiki again for backup.

- edit
it doesn't work, I can setup backup with the tool backup restore but when I enter my usb stick device wich i can see with fdisk it gives me this error: Make sure you are using a valid backup/restore device. Some errors are logged in /tmp/backup_status. backup_status does not show any errors..

-edit another question. ;p
If I will install TinyCore to an usb just like the tutorial in the wiki would that make my system automaticly persistent? Or do I still need to edit the lines to make /tce /opt and /home perisistent.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 07:44:04 AM by TinyFan »

Offline Guy

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 02:14:19 AM »
If I will install TinyCore to an usb just like the tutorial in the wiki would that make my system automaticly persistent? Or do I still need to edit the lines to make /tce /opt and /home perisistent.

The easiest way to install on a usb drive is to use USB Install in the Control Panel.

This will automatically create a /tce directory, and all applications you install will be persistent.

There are two ways you can make personal files and settings persistent.

One method is to use backup.

The other method is to use persistent /home and /opt. If you use persistent /home and /opt you need to edit lines.

If you use backup, anything you save is saved to ram. It is only saved on the usb drive when you do a backup - normally when you turn the computer off. This minimizes the amount of writing to the usb drive, so the usb drive will last longer. It also takes longer to shut down and start up the computer.

If you use persistent /home and /opt, anything you save will be written to the usb drive immediately. The usb drive will not last as long. Shutting down and starting up the computer will be faster.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline TinyFan

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 02:45:07 PM »
Call me stupid, never tought it was so damn easy.. My brain thinks way to complicated lol. :) Thanks to the people above, I finally achieved it. I just used the usbinstall script inside microcore with an extra usb stick wich contained a microcore iso, the other usb acted like a livecd *maybe* because I installed it with UnetBootin. Cheers all! :)