WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tinycore_v3.3rc1  (Read 12251 times)

Offline jls

Re: tinycore_v3.3rc1
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 03:33:59 PM »
/usr/share/applications/tinycore-exittc.desktop is missing
dCore user

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 06:12:18 PM »
True. It was producing a duplicate Exit option in the Systems Tools menu and
openbox, icewm, fluxbox, hackedbox, jwm, flwm, and LXDE do not need it.

Instead of having a duplicate exit item, if there is some specific wm/de that needs it, then perhaps it should be included in that particular extension in the usual and supported /usr/local/share/applications/ directory?
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 06:22:30 PM »
I am hoping that someone can find me, or even make, a nicer more matching and slightly larger icon for the file manager as was done for the exit icon.

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 07:15:41 PM »
Oh.  I didn't realize mfm was imminent as a base app.  Maybe I would not have started my "Fluff" file manager if I did.  Or at least not before trying to live with mfm for a while and only proceed if I saw a compelling reason. :-\

I tried mfm in the 2.x (2.4?) days and was not crazy about it.  I don't recall if it was a specific lack of a feature, or something more general, but for some reason, it left me wanting to make a new native-FLTK file manager myself.  Maybe I need to check out the mfm as it is in TC 3.3-rc.x now and see if I still feel that way.

Fluff is getting pretty useful, but still has some rough edges.  Fluff also does file associations and maybe has many other features in common with mfm.  Fluff's executable is about 100K in size.  I don't remember how that compares to mfm.  Fluff may have to grow a bit more to polish it, assuming I continue development.  But the motivation is different if there is already something very similar in the base.

I'll attach a screen capture of my current version of Fluff if anyone is curious.
--
Mike Lockmoore

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 10:24:14 PM »
Yes, you have seen mfm, as I shared the code that I had back in 2.x days. Actually I have been toying with the code since pre 1.0 days.

I have not seen nor am I aware of any target date for fluff. The math calculator was higher priority.

I felt that I needed to move ahead with an easy file association edit capability, as I have, more than I should have, to explain.

I would certainly not stop with your efforts with fluff. Once you feel it is ready I would be more than happy to evaluate it for mfm replacement. The screenie you attached looks very promising. Until then.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 03:52:02 AM »
I am hoping that someone can find me, or even make, a nicer more matching and slightly larger icon for the file manager as was done for the exit icon.
Were you thinking of a filing cabinet icon or a folder icon?

I made this one, based on a gnome starting point.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 07:40:07 AM »
Looks good. It is going in for rc2. Thanks!

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 07:54:43 AM »
Robert - I think its is great having mfm and a (non-vi) editor in base.  While I have always been able and willing to move files around at the command line, and I've actually successfully (if haltingly) used vi a couple of times, I think these two additions are a huge benefit to the less geeky crowd and a great big convenience to the rest of us.

I haven't played with mfm enough yet to really explore its capabilities and limits, but...

MikeLockmoore - I like the look of Fluff from your screenshot.  I'm partial to the layout with the directory tree and the directory content in side-by-side panes of the same window.  If you choose to continue with that project (and I hope you do), I'll be very interested to try it out.
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar