WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tinycore_v3.3rc1  (Read 12250 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
tinycore_v3.3rc1
« on: October 30, 2010, 03:01:16 PM »
The First Release Candidate of v3.3 (tinycore_3.3rc1.iso), is now posted and ready for testing.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/release_candidates

tinycore_3.3rc1.iso
tinycore_3.3rc1.iso.md5.txt

Change log for Tiny Core v3.3:

* New FLTK integrated file manager, mfm, file associations, i.e, double click to edit/run directly from file manager.
* New FLTK minimal editor, on System Tools menu, and called via File Manager configurable file associations.
* New tce-run - load and run tcz, e.g., tce-run xmms, This is the association to run .tcz directly from file manager.
* Updated tce-audit to support default pathing and ext (.tcz) greatly improves CLI usage.
* Updated tce-setdrive to support call via AppBrowser.
* Updated AppBrowser - integrated setdrive. A "Set" button is initialized when Cloud Mode is detected.
* New wbarconf replaces wbar_exclude. Manage all icons (system and ondemand), as well as bar placement.
* New wbar_mv_icon for support of wbarconf.
* Updated ondemand generated scripts to pass command line arguments.
* New boot code nozswap - Skip compressed swap in ram.
* Updated and reorganized boot help screens f2 f3 f4
* Updated Control Panel reorganization. Moved more frequently used items to the System Tools menu.
    Moved AppsAudit to System Tools menu.
    Moved Run Command to System Tools menu.
* Updated System Tools menu reorganization. Moved less frequently used items to Control Panel.
    Moved PPI Setup to Control Panel
    Moved TermServer Setup to Control panel.
* Updated wbar for new file manager icon, removable via the new wbarconf.

Other file associations can be found in ~/.mfm/mfm.cfg. Associations can be maintained via the file
manager Options->Configurations or edit directly. This simple text file could be easily updated for additional associations via extension start up scripts.

The editor is the demo from the FLTK source. Very limited, but as a starter editor for simply editing a
few config files, I find it useful. It obviously be an improvement over vi for new users unfamiliar with such.

While my impetus was originally for better support for the vi or cli dilemma facing new users as shown the topic area where I posted (http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=7600.0), the fact that Tiny Core can now offer data centric view ( file associations ) was the tipping point for my decision to include the FileMgr and Editor.

I have also created wbarconf for those of you who already have, or desire, a more fully featured file manager as found in the repository. Simply use the new wbarconf and remove the FileMgr icon.

Note: A new data structure is used for wbarconf so any current wbar_excluded items (xwbar.lst) will need to be remade.

Hope you enjoy the new, but optional, "data centric" capabilities of Tiny Core as much as I have in coding, preparing and using this release.

-- Robert
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
Re: tinycore_v3.3rc1
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 03:07:38 PM »
Wow.

There goes the majority of any left over customisations I had still had with tc_3.2. Plus brought in a whole swag of extra stuff *drool *

Robert, looks brilliant. Am testing now...

Offline SvOlli

• Linux Developer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 03:34:15 PM »
isolinux.cfg is missing the line
Code: [Select]
F4 f4

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 05:08:55 PM »
isolinux.cfg is missing the line
Code: [Select]
F4 f4
Doh!
Got it!
Thanks.

Offline maro

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 05:53:02 PM »
Quick note re. the new 'F4' file: the concepts page contains "by pressing F2 or F3" so I a minor correction is probably required.

Other than this I had a quick "kicking the tires" trial. Even I as a strong CLI advocate can see the benefit of having a simple GUI filemanager & editor included. So that should put an end to re-occuring suggestions of GUI editor installations as precondition to adjust some system settings.

First impression re. 'mfm': Some of the keyboard shortcuts seem to clash with 'flwm_topside'. I tried 'Alt-F1' (i.e. 'Toggle permission view') and that was clearly caught by the WM and not by 'mfm'. I also managed with another key stroke to crash my WM (i.e. 'flwm_topside'). That was a first for me, and I don't know what key did it, but I think the short cuts used by the default WM and the default file manager need to be mutually exclusive.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 06:32:09 PM »
Is there a way to replace FLTK fonts such as in the new mfm? They look spidery/aliased on my setup. I really like the crisp fonts as found in the file list in AppBrowser for example.  The buttons would benefit from such fonts as well.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 12:02:44 AM »
wbarconf bug:

Put mfm on the right to exclude it from wbar. Click apply - icon is removed. Exit X, startx, mfm re-appears.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:05:39 AM by jur »

Online curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 01:19:37 AM »
Concepts page edited.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 02:24:28 PM »
wbarconf bug:

Put mfm on the right to exclude it from wbar. Click apply - icon is removed. Exit X, startx, mfm re-appears.

Bugs found. Bugs squashed. Thanks for testing and reporting.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 02:44:33 PM by roberts »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 02:30:36 PM »
Quick note re. the new 'F4' file: the concepts page contains "by pressing F2 or F3" so I a minor correction is probably required.

Other than this I had a quick "kicking the tires" trial. Even I as a strong CLI advocate can see the benefit of having a simple GUI filemanager & editor included. So that should put an end to re-occuring suggestions of GUI editor installations as precondition to adjust some system settings.

First impression re. 'mfm': Some of the keyboard shortcuts seem to clash with 'flwm_topside'. I tried 'Alt-F1' (i.e. 'Toggle permission view') and that was clearly caught by the WM and not by 'mfm'. I also managed with another key stroke to crash my WM (i.e. 'flwm_topside'). That was a first for me, and I don't know what key did it, but I think the short cuts used by the default WM and the default file manager need to be mutually exclusive.

Original FLWM did not have so many Alt hot keys. They were a recent addition when topside was being made. Personally I don't think WMs should have so many hot keys, as conflicts arise. I had the same issue on that other project I did.

I am open to suggestions to remove some overlapping hotkeys either in flwm or mfm, or both, or if available and supported alternates be suggested.

Hopefully an amicable selection can be worked out during the release cycle.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 02:33:55 PM »
Is there a way to replace FLTK fonts such as in the new mfm? They look spidery/aliased on my setup. I really like the crisp fonts as found in the file list in AppBrowser for example.  The buttons would benefit from such fonts as well.
I am not sure I understand. Both mfm and most of my GUIs are using helvetica 14. Areas of text that need alignment use fixed width font courier kinda like the <pre> tag in html.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 11:06:47 AM »
RE:
First impression re. 'mfm': Some of the keyboard shortcuts seem to clash with 'flwm_topside'. I tried 'Alt-F1' (i.e. 'Toggle permission view') and that was clearly caught by the WM and not by 'mfm'.

I have searched both mfm and flwm and Alt-F1 was the only conflict that I found.
I have made adjustments to te FileMgr (mfm) View Menu to prevent this conflict.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 01:28:12 PM »
Here's one I found: alt-f4 is often used for shutting down apps. So pressing alt-f4 in openbox shuts mfm down.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 03:08:01 PM »
OK. I will just drop the Alt-Fn hot keys in the troublesome View Menu Toggle  section.

Offline SvOlli

• Linux Developer
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
OK. I will just drop the Alt-Fn hot keys in the troublesome View Menu Toggle  section.
Or maybe replace them with Shift-Fn? These seem to have no special purpose...