WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: dmesg: Failed to load firmware "e100/d101m_ucode.bin"  (Read 8580 times)

Offline dolphin

dmesg: Failed to load firmware "e100/d101m_ucode.bin"
« on: October 26, 2010, 03:44:04 PM »
Hi,

I have a Hitachi Notebook Model 270GX, celeron CPU with 64MB. I downloaded tinycore_3.2.iso to CD and managed to started up but not able to obtain IP address from dhcp. I tried to assign static IP but give the following:

$sudo su
#ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.65 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 up
ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: no such file or directory

Can someone give a pointer? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 12:48:24 AM by dolphin »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Queries - Newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 09:48:04 AM »
Anything relevant in dmesg?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline dolphin

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 05:39:06 PM »
Found the following:

e100: eth0: e100_request_firmware: Failed to load firmware "e100/d101m_ucode.bin": -2

After goolge, found the following thread:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=1356.0

The solution in the thread suggested "See the firmware-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tce extension"  but I don't how to go about it as the Notebook can not connect to the network.

Offline maro

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 06:25:02 PM »
You could download the extension directly from the TC 3.x repository (i.e. direct link) You would obviously have to use a different OS on the target system (or a different host).

The further question is how you are going to make that extension available to TC, as "cloud mode" (even for testing) is not an option. To guide you towards a suitable way we would need to know things like:
(1) Can you boot the target system with a different OS (where the NIC is working), or do you have another host available for that?
(2) What type of OS (Windows, or another Linux) would that be?
(3) Are you planning to install (at least the extensions) on the hard disk of the target system, or would you use an USB pendrive instead?
(4) What type of file systems (e.g. FAT, NTFS, or EXT[2-4]) are already available on the target system (or the USB pendrive)?

If you can provide us with answers to those questions, I'm sure we can sort you out.

Edit: I also like to suggest you rename this thread to something more meaningful. This would help other users in the future that run into a similar "catch-22" and requiring offline download of an extenion.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 06:39:55 PM by maro »

Offline dolphin

Re: dmesg: Failed to load firmware "e100/d101m_ucode.bin"
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 12:56:23 AM »
- I will use another PC running Win XP as there is no OS in the hard drive of the Notebook now
- I plan to install TC into the hard drive (formatted FAT) of the notebook
- The PC and the notebook come with USB interface and floppy drive

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 10:48:17 AM »
Looking at the size of the firmware extension, it would need to be splitted into 2 to fit on floppies.
However, the specific firmware you need per se is very small, if you can find a way to extract it from the squash file under win XP.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline dolphin

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 03:57:35 PM »
Can pen drive be used? If so, how to go about it?

Offline maro

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 05:03:43 PM »
A USB pendrive should work, if it uses a FAT file system. In the following I'll try to describe how you set up the USB pendrive on your WinXP system to help booting your notebook with the firmware extension. Further steps then depend on how you are going to use it in the future (e.g. co-existance of several OS on the notebook).

In the following I assume that the file system in question on the USB pendrive is 'K:'.
(1) Download the extension on the XP system (for a direct link see above in reply #3). Note: If you want to ensure the integrity of the download you'll have to also download the 'firmware.tcz.md5.txt' file. Use this for verification, but that's up to you how far you want to go.

(2) Set up of the USB pendrive using the following commands
Code: [Select]
mkdir K:\tce\optional
copy firmware.tcz K:\tce\optional
echo firmware.tcz >> K:\tce\onboot.lst
Note: I was not sure about the last command, since it creates a MS-DOS text file (with surplus 'Carriage Return' characters). But it seems to have worked fine in my quick test.

(3) Remove the USB pendrive from your XP system, attach it to your notebook, and boot using the TC 3.2 CD-ROM. It is important that you use a boot code of 'waitusb=15' to give your system time to properly recognise the TC extension on your USB pendrive. If 15 seconds works, you can try with a lower value, if it fails increase it.

Here are a couple of commands to check things out:
  • With cat /opt/.tce_dir you can see whether TC has recognised your USB pendrive properly. If the value is '/tmp/tce' you are still in the (default) "cloud mode".
  • With ls /tmp/tcloop you could see a list of loop-mounted (i.e. installed) extensions. You obviously want to make sure that 'firmware' is listed there.

If things have worked up to this point I'd imagine that the NIC related messages in the 'dmesg' output are different. I trust you have some idea of how to check out the (hopefully working) network setup.

From this point onwards you should have a TC system with internet access. You could initially continue with the USB pendrive setup, and install additional extentions to the USB pendrive.

Moving forward you really will have to carefully read the "standard" documentation (e.g. the FAQ, the install page, the concepts page and relevant Wiki pages). This is for you to determin which kind of installation you want. A simple way could be to "clone" the 'tce' directory from your USB stick onto your FAT file system on the notebook. Whilst this should work (at least in theory) I for one don't consider it the best option (e.g. in terms of performance). All those questions of which boot loader to use, boot from CD-ROM or hard disk, what kind of target filesystem, advanced persitence options, etc. might still be ahead of you.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:58:52 PM by maro »

Offline jmhill

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 09:16:23 PM »
I'm also seeing this "failed to load" message. 

I'm using the TinyCore 3.4 live CD and have a PC/104 card that uses a Geode GX1 processor, has 128Mbytes of RAM, and for Ethernet has a Intel 82559ER Ethernet controller.

I've followed the outline above.  I'm also using Windows-XP to download and save the extension to a USB memory stick.

1) I made a subdirectory on a USB memory stick
   - saved firmware.tcz as described
   - made onboot.lst as described

2) Moved the memory stick to the PC/104 system and booted with:
> tinycore waitusb=15

The file manager FileMgr shows me that the memory stick is mounted
and I can see files, which is good

The dmesg command tells me...

e100 0000:00:0e.0: firmware: requesting e100/d101s_ucode.bin
e100: eth0: e100_request_firmware: Failed to load firmware "e100/d101s_ucode.bin": -2
e100 0000:00:0e.0: firmware: requesting e100/d101s_ucode.bin
e100: eth0: e100_request_firmware: Failed to load firmware "e100/d101s_ucode.bin": -2

I tried...

$ cat /opt/.tce_dir
/mnt/sda/tce

I also tried...

$ ls /tmp/tcloop
$

The directory is empty...
Your advice will be appreciated.

Jonathan

Offline maro

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 10:57:21 PM »
@jmhill: Hmmm, that is kind of unexpected. The fact that cat /opt/.tce_dir results in '/mnt/sda/tce' indicates to me that the USB drive was recognised, but strangely the 'firmware.tcz' extension was not loaded. One thing that stands out a bit is the fact that your USB memory stick seems to be not partitioned (i.e. 'sda' instead of 'sda1'). This would have not worked prior to TC 3.4, but should be fine now (in fact I've just proven that to myself via a quick test with QEMU).

So I can only suggest to examine (in TC) the content of your USB memory stick, e.g. via cat /mnt/sda/tce/onboot.lst && ls -lR /mnt/sda   Maybe this will give us a clue.

Offline jmhill

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 06:13:07 PM »
AHHH!  Found something, a typo in the onboot.lst file
I checked the prior notes and see that I had misread them.

$ cat /mnt/sda/tce/onboot.lst
firmware.tce

I just used the text editor to replace .tce with .tcz
and then rebooted.  Now I see...

$ ls /tmp/tcloop
firmware/

I can also ping tinycorelinux.com and am getting a reply.
Gee, this is working.  Thank you!