WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Partitioning for TC  (Read 3032 times)

xnix

Partitioning for TC
« on: October 23, 2010, 10:21:52 AM »
Alright, I'm gonna step out on a limb with my question. I'm wanting to partition my hda in such a manner that my /home, /usr, /var, etc...

I'm running TC on a SDCard, so in a sense, I suppose this accounts for my /boot and /root partitions, except that it makes a virtual /root in my RAM at boot time, or at least this is how I think I'm seeing it, but I may be wrong concerning this. I intend on running TC as a home server (not for public use, but for private development, therefore I am wanting /var separate, at least because I've read that the /var partition would contain many of the server programs. Obviosuly I would want /home separate, so that I can maintain my personal stuff in its own partition. I have a /swap for its intended purpose. Now my question and need for direction comes here:

Are these partitions really necessary since TC isn't persistent (unless I set it up for persistence)? I do want to be able to install extensions to me hda for use every restart, but only loaded On Demand since I will mainly focus each session for my intended use (writing, development, emulation, etc). Therefore my question is: What partitions are really necessary with a semi-persistent TC session, and what would those partitions be used for, and finally, how would I make TC to see these partitions.

I know that I can load, through command line, my TC /home directory in a separate partition, but what about these others? I'm sorry if I am off kilter with my questions, I am a new Linux and TinyCore user, but this is also part of my learning experience. Please take it easy on me trying to sound smart but really being dumb!

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Partitioning for TC
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 10:48:34 AM »
TC is not a standard Linux system.
Root is supposed to be in RAM.
I would suggest setting only a persistent tce directory until you are more familiar with the system.
The persistent tce directory will allow you install and save extensions and backup your home directory.
Please read the FAQ http://www.tinycorelinux.com/faq.html

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 10:50:46 AM »
What partitions are really necessary with a semi-persistent TC session, and what would those partitions be used for, and finally, how would I make TC to see these partitions.

Just one. It would have the extensions, and your chosen method of persistence.

Everything's in RAM, TC is different to traditional distros there. I also don't see much advantage in having separate partitions on the same device anyway.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 10:51:54 AM »
I have a /swap for its intended purpose.

swap never gets mounted and therefore does not require any mountpoint
If your require swap you can use
Code: [Select]
swapfile to set it up

Therefore my question is: What partitions are really necessary with a semi-persistent TC session, and what would those partitions be used for, and finally, how would I make TC to see these partitions.

Not sure what you mean by "semi-persistent TC session".

To keep it as simple as possible:
  • In order to keep only dynamic data persistent, no partition is needed, but any storage medium accesible at boot and shutdown time
  • In order to keep dynamic and static data (extensions) persistent, one non-dedicated partition with a ext* or FAT* filesystem is required on which a /tce directory has to be created
  • In order to use always the same personal data, remastering could be used to avoid the need of any partition, there the only need would be any storage medium accessible at boot time (which could even be located on a different PC in the case of a netboot)
I'd highly suggest that you at least read up on all the links which are on main page (and possibly also watch the videos).
Also browsing the forum (there is a search function) may help you to a better understanding how TC works.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:58:15 AM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

xnix

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 11:02:10 AM »
Wow, didn't expect so many replies so quickly. Thanks for your replies!

First, I have read the links on the website, and probably half of the wiki, the issue has been comprehending everything I have read. I've had to read and re-read those pages several times to start getting the hang of things. I can see how a /tce and /home partition is needed from your responses.

I think in my learning Linux I've been trying to recreate the wheel and make things too complex for my experience level. This is part of my learning experience, so thanks for helping clear these things up concerning TC.

xnix

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 11:03:25 AM »
Well, directories, not partitions...

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 11:12:55 AM »
You do not need to define a home partition, and I would recommend you NOT do so.
Only use the home boot option after you fully understand what it does, and how it impacts the backup process.

xnix

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 12:06:50 PM »
I'm not looking to backup, not at this point anyways, rather I want a fresh boot every time. I intend on remastering TC with drivers for my netbook, then installing the extensions I use frequently to my /tce, but otherwise, I want things fresh every time.

I guess I need to read more on what the purpose is behind backup, and figure out what you mean by how a /home directory would affect said backup, but I'll read some more. This topic has been enough to at least guide me concerning partitioning my drive for TC, although I will never install TC to said drive, but I've made my point, and now I just need to learn some more.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 12:11:27 PM »
I see no reason to remaster. All you need is a tce directory on you HD os SD card.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 03:48:05 PM »
In case of doubt, making a backup could not harm. Restoring it could be omitted at boot up (boot param 'norestore') and even happen at a later time if and when so desirable.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

xnix

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 04:40:44 PM »
Well, after briefly checking out the wiki on backup, I can see that it is useful for custom settings used in my TC session, so backup is actually more useful than I thought, especially since I can pick and choose what backups.

I think my whole experience with TC has been blown up by my own complexities.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 04:45:58 PM »
Right, its power is in its simplicity.