WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: filetool.lst  (Read 10607 times)

Offline alan52

filetool.lst
« on: October 22, 2010, 09:28:42 AM »
Have installed my printer but I need to add a line to /opt/.filetool.lst but i can't find it, using tinycore 3.2!

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: filetool.lst
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 09:30:52 AM »
Files starting with '.' are hidden. to see them you need the -a option to ls.
ls -a /opt

This is very basic Linux/Unix.  I suggest you get a good beginner's Linux book.

Offline Tahoe

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 03:20:59 PM »
Copies of both core and findutils, along with a quick hands on couldn't hurt.
People tend to make rules for others and exceptions for themselves. Well now, how about that?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 03:33:50 PM »
Copies of both core and findutils, along with a quick hands on couldn't hurt.

What do you exactly mean by that, and how is it related to the topic?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

aus9

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 05:06:51 PM »
hi

if you install a graphical text editor you can run

Code: [Select]
sudo (nameofeditor)

eg sudo leafpad

and then navigate to your /opt/.filetool.lst

2) if you prefer terminal stuff I higly recommend

sudo mc (you will need to install mc)

navigate to /opt

then press F4 when you are on the filetool entry

press enter at end of file and add the file

press F2 to save

press F10 to exit that file

press F10 to quit mc

(the F numbers show up at bottom of screen)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 09:18:25 AM by Rich »

Offline maro

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 12:28:35 AM »
I'm sorry, but if one just needs to add an entry to a text file I find using an editor to be a bit "overkill". In particular suggesting to install a GUI editor or using a file manager (like 'mc') for such a "trivial" task is IMHO "over the top" (and I'm saying this as a very long time user of 'mc').

What I'd suggest is to use echo path/to/file >> /opt/.filetool.lst As always for entrys to '/opt/.filetool.lst': please ensure to not use an absolute path (i.e. don't use '/path/to/file').

I dont' want to start a flamewar about which editor is to be preferred, but I think that using the "bigger guns" to solve a trivial task is not always appropriate.

BTW my suggestion for the task of the deletion of a entry would be sed -i '/path\/to\/file/d' /opt/.filetool.lst Now this time what appears to be a leading forward slash in the 'path/to/file' is actually required syntax for the "delete" command of 'sed' (i.e. '/RegularExpression/d'), and therefore the forward slashes "inside" of the regular expression will have to be "escaped" (with a back-slash for each of them).

Well, that's all pretty standard UNIX/Linux stuff, but if anyone still insist to install a couple of extenions to achieve the same I'm certainly not in a position to stop you ...

aus9

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 08:08:56 AM »
I don't want to start a flamewar either so will not expand any further

good bye

Offline Terminator3000

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 01:12:10 PM »
Well 'vi' is already there, so a quick 'vi /opt/.filetool.lst'  (W/O quotes) will bring up the file ready to amend without any of the above mentioned drama ! Just basic tools needed.
         Maro's way is fine for users who have more experience but not everyone has the necessary number of manhours to study(and practice) the thousands of commands and variants in a Linux handbook (yes I have one) especially if they are also learning other stuff for which they are actually hoping to put to use the said operating system!

The Microcore forum is an excellent medium to learn from and I for one have found
that I learned more in 2-3 weeks here than in 2 years messing about elsewhere thanks to the very high standard of posters and staff members.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 01:26:27 PM by Terminator3000 »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 02:16:34 PM »
Well 'vi' is already there, so a quick 'vi /opt/.filetool.lst'  (W/O quotes) will bring up the file ready to amend without any of the above mentioned drama ! Just basic tools needed.
         Maro's way is fine for users who have more experience

I beg to differ.
Being a vi-idiot myself (believe me I have spent a lot of time trying...), Maro's instructions look much more simple to me than attempting to aquire enough experience to ever be able to do
a quick 'vi /opt/.filetool.lst'  (W/O quotes) will bring up the file ready to amend without any of the above mentioned drama !
and therefore could be useful to me, as only tools contained in base are required (as is the case with busybox applet vi).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 02:18:18 PM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 11:54:32 AM »
There will always be the CLI vs the GUI. I have spent considerable time to create tiny GUIs for Tiny Core. If CLI only I would not have started this project.

Micro Core users primarily have CLI only. Tiny Core GUI. Many posts do not specify if the user is running Tiny or Micro. I suspect largely Tiny Core.

CLI always is an option for both. But note that some users are coming from GUI environments. I usually answer posts by specifying a GUI solution.

After watching this topic and recently others, perhaps I need to go further in providing more GUIs. Note that my GUIs are mainly front ends to CLI. That way I support both Tiny and Micro. I am off to ponder.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 10:44:01 PM »
I am back from my pondering! The result of which will become apparent in v3.3.

Advanced power users will likely scoff. "vi or die", say aye! CLI forever.

New users may find it is just what is needed to help get past the vi or cli dilemma.

And those who, like myself, truly appreciate what can be achieved in tiny software may be pleasantly surprised.

Data centric view is coming to Tiny Core.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 05:29:54 AM by roberts »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 04:34:57 PM »
Wondering why the menu options "Add to Filetool" & "Add to Xfiletool" were not mentioned at all in this thread...

However, for me only the latter one of the both works, and I suspect some permissions might have been messed up somewhen for "Add to Filetool" not to work...   :-\

Code: [Select]
tc@box:~$ ls -l /opt/.*file*
-rw-rw-r--    1 root     root          641 Oct 29 17:46 /opt/.filetool.lst
-rw-rw-r--    1 tc       staff         913 Oct 25 00:34 /opt/.xfiletool.lst

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 05:08:08 PM »
You must be running a non-recent version as both of those are long gone and were of very limited value. However, they once existence, demonstrated my concern for such matters.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 05:59:32 PM »
True, 2.10, and my bad I hadn't considered they might have been gone. (Which of course explains why I wondered why it was not mentioned)