WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Installed TCL on VirtualBox to Laptop ????  (Read 5492 times)

Offline anglerdk

Installed TCL on VirtualBox to Laptop ????
« on: October 21, 2010, 08:53:12 AM »
Hi

I am relative new to TinyCoreLinux, but have used Ubuntu for some time for my work laptop.

I have an old P2 300MHz , 128MB RAM laptop which I would like to use again. Therefore TCL is perfect in my mind.  my problem is that there is no RJ45 LAN adapter in this, so I have to use either a 3G modem (USB) or a PCMCIA Wifi card (linksys WT300). My idea is to install the progs etc. in virtualbox and "copy" it to my laptop after installing all the drivers - but can it be done and how ?

thx for help :)

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Installed TCL on VirtualBox to Laptop ????
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 09:16:56 AM »
You could try a USB wired adapter.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 09:47:25 AM »
WRT to wifi you have to find out which driver is used for its chipset under Linux.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 10:34:44 AM »
Sure, it can be done.

- boot TC in VM
- install whatever apps you want
- copy /tmp/tce to the target machine some way, as /tce on some linux partition
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline maro

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 08:30:53 PM »
@anglerdk: Whilst I agree that what your are planning might be feasible in principle I'm not sure whether the approach via a VM is particular efficient. Here are some thoughts why I am (at least for now) not yet so sure about it. And I might need to add that I use a lot of (ad-hoc) VMs (mostly VBox and QEMU) to "play around" with TC.

I assume you are not going to use your target system (P2 300MHz , 128MB RAM) to run the VM, so how are your planning to get your setup (i.e. the content of your '.../tce' directory) from within the VM onto the target system? The options I could imagine are: (a) via network transfer, (b) via a USB drive.

As (a) would require a working NIC (and networking stack) on the target it looks to be a bit a of a "catch-22" situation.

The (b) option is therefore the more likely one. So one could boot TC from CD-ROM (or even the USB pendrive itself) on a "connected" host system, and download all the required extensions. Well, when going down this path why not install TC on the USB drive itself. That would lead to a situation where all the desired extensions already end up to on the "transfer" medium.

The one big problem in any of this thoughts is that the HW (whether using a VM or a different "native" host) would be different to the target system. So any (additional) drivers which work for the "download system" might not be the right ones for the "target system".

If you give us some idea of how you actually plan to "transfer" files I'm sure we could guide you more precisely in hopefully the right direction.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 06:40:13 AM »
The (b) option is therefore the more likely one. So one could boot TC from CD-ROM (or even the USB pendrive itself) on a "connected" host system, and download all the required extensions. Well, when going down this path why not install TC on the USB drive itself. That would lead to a situation where all the desired extensions already end up to on the "transfer" medium.
Transfer of /tce content can definitely be done through USB drive - this is the easiest I think. From there it can be left on usb drive or transferred to hard. Other option is a CD drive as vehicle of transfer, but it is more steps.
Taking from there TC can be installed on hard drive ot booted from CD. I do not recommend installing on USB drive for that machine, because it is USB 1.1, therefore would be extremely slow to boot, not speaking of booting from USB may not be an option in BIOS.  Booting from CD and using /tce on USB or hard drive is quite usable.