General TC > General TC Talk

Wiki Getting Started

(1/1)

silverbird:
I dont know if this is the place to put this question...

But when I recently installed TC to CD and booted , reading the various Wiki instructions I didn't see anything that said you should create a /tce directory on some media other than the CD if you want the applications you download to be available the next time you boot.
I spent quite a while browsing the forum for insight until I found a reply that said something like - if you create a /tce folder on a mount media (/mnt/sda1 for example) TC, when booting will search for a /tce directory and load the applications from there. I think this should be in the 'Getting Started' part of the wiki.
I cannot now locate the message and therefore accredit the author. A second author clarified that the media must be either Fat or ext - presumably not NTFS.

Browsing the forum topics there is plenty of suggestions for using a USB device for persistence, but I think for newcomers like myself it would help if it were in the Getting Started section that this can be done easily on a hard drive partition. I created the /tce directory using Windows and then booted TC from the CD.

Also, maybe the Installation menu option to the web page should be HD Installation, which is what it refers to, though that seems to be discouraged for TC.

In fact the Installation menu option might list the different installation options and then explain how to install to hard drive.

I know these points must be blatantly obvious to the experience users, so apologies for that.

roberts:
See:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=7495.0

The wiki is user documentation and should be considered supplemental once you have perused the official documentation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version