Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

Run From CD - Persistent File On Hard Drive - How To?

(1/3) > >>

docsulo:
I'll admit I'm confused.

I've loaded and created extensions about 10 times and tried various ways to create a file that I could reload the extensions with but I'm not having luck.

I want to run TCL from CD and have the main functions in RAM.

I'd like to load the apps from my hard drive WITHOUT partitioning it as a separate partition (I thought that was one of the benefits of TCL).  I just want a folder on my hard drive so that I don't have to re-load all the different apps I want. 

Can someone direct me to STEP BY STEP instructions?  So far I've seen some stuff about backup and a TC folder.  I have also noticed that when I download an app "On Demand" another folder is created.  Anyway, it's all confusing and the documentation has not made things better for me.

roberts:
No partition required if your hard's partition type is supported.

Click Panel icon
Click Set TCE Drive.

Will setup the necessary directories for Tiny Core.

You must have a hard drive with a supported partition type, ext2/etx3/fat

docsulo:
All my partitions are ext 4. 

Could that be my issue?

maro:
EXT4 should work OK for TC 3.x (but not out of the base for TC 2.x).

The principle is that TC will scan at boot time all file systems (i.e. partitions) of those types supported in the Core (i.e. EXT[2-4], FAT, VFAT) and checks for the existence of a '/tce' directory. If such a directory contains an 'optional' sub-directory (which should be where the extension files are stored) all those extensions listed in a config file (i.e. '/tce/onboot.lst') will be installed as part of the boot process. All this will be set up for you via the process Robert has mentioned (or you could call the script directly from a shell via tce-setdrive)

docsulo:
OK.  Thanks.  That worked.

I created a new partition that was ext3 (even though I see that ext 4 would work).  Clicked the Panel and set the TCE drive and loaded fine.  However, it seems as if I can't right click on the screen to get a menu and part of my browser has been chopped off at the top and bottom (Chromium).

Some other questions:

1. What is the purpose of Backup?
2. Does the TCE drive save my settings or does it just save the applications so that I don't have to re-install every time?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version