WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Images work in the wiki?  (Read 2909 times)

Offline jonathanbrickman0000

• PC TSC:  Easily turn a PC into a terminal server client
Images work in the wiki?
« on: October 16, 2010, 06:38:26 PM »
I was all set to update the official install instructions, when I found myself unable to add images.  I tried several methods, including manual uploads and switching between Firefox and Chrome.  Are images working?

J.E.B.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
Re: Images work in the wiki?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 11:25:31 AM »
The official install guide is not on the wiki.  The actual page (that the link points to) resides on the main site.  Suggestions are welcome though.

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »
I have attached a rewrite in .odt and .doc.  Some of the details:

The screenshot in step 1 is no longer accurate.  I have included a new one.

In step 5, "mount /mnt/hda1" doesn't work.  I have replaced it with "mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1".

In step 5, "mount /mnt/hdc" doesn't work.  I have replaced it with "mount /dev/hdc /mnt/hdc".

I have added an option to install and use 'nano', in a few different places.  

In the GRUB section, I have expanded it a bit, dividing the one into two and adding text, to help people who don't know what a boot loader is.

Also in the GRUB area, I have warned about a possible multi-minute wait needed after entering the "grub" command which I discovered on my test hardware and confirmed in general via WWW.

I imagine you may want to delete the page named "Updated Basic Install Guide" in the "Installing" section of the wiki  :)

J.E.B.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 12:04:08 PM by jonathanbrickman0000 »

Offline maro

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 05:32:50 PM »
As the installation page might get a "refresh" I'd like to add a few thoughts of my own:

• When PPR mode is mentioned I don't see an explanation (e.g. "Personal Persistent Repository (PPR)") or reference to the Core concepts page. I wonder also if it needs to be highlighted. When I first read about TC and went to the (older version) of the concepts page, I was honestly somewhat repulsed. It took me several times of reading and toying around with TC until it become clearer what these modes meant. At that time there were 4 modes listed and to me it appeared they were given equal prominence. That page has since been revised and is IMHO certainly better now.
    It is my observation that PPI is very rarely mentioned in recent forum posts, and when answering questions from useres I implicitly assume that they use PPR. In my view it has become the default installation (by a fairly wide margin). Maybe that should be reflected by just mentioning it once in the introduction (with a reference to the Core concept page) and removing it entirely from the rest of the page (mind you, I counted only 3 occurences anyway).

• I wonder whether all shell commands could be even more distinguished by the use of a bold, mono-spaced font (plus maybe even a color, like blue). Most of them are on a separate line (which makes them already pretty obvious), but the few which are occuring within a paragraph might benefit from such a "treatment". And having all commands highlighted the same way would IMHO be best.

• Whilst the inclusion of the "waitusb=5" note is critical, I wonder whether the fact that the value of 5 seconds is not written in stone needs to be included. I also wonder whether the "waitusb=x:(LABEL|UUID)=y" feature should be mentioned in there as well. Or wouldn't it make more sense to enhance the FAQ regarding this feature, and include a reference to the (enhanced) FAQ section back in the install page. BTW, the 'F3' file of the ISO, as well as the boot codes section of the FAQ could do with an update in that regard.

• Another question for me is whether it would make sense to add a note at the end that other boot loaders (e.g. GRUB2, (sys|ext)linux) are avaiable and details of their use can be found via Wiki pages (again with appropriate links).

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 09:39:22 PM »
The website Installation page is HTML. Suggestions for improvements are always welcomed but should be provided in HTML. You should be able to download the existing page(s) and make your edits then submit for approval. I would like to depreciate PPR and PPI. The default, suggested, and most supported mode (as seen by the latest development efforts) is the mounted apps mode (on boot/on demand). Other modes should only be attempted for advanced or special needs. Contributing to our documentation is a way to give back to this project.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 09:47:29 PM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 05:11:54 AM »
Got it.  What is the formal submission process?

J.E.B.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 05:38:11 AM »
Post the diff and images here in the forum as attachments, nothing more formal than that.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tinypoodle

Updating Installation Page
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 06:44:52 AM »
I have added an option to install and use 'nano', in a few different places.  

Suggestion: e3 instead of nano.
e3  has multiple keybinding modes including pico, emacs, vim, wordstar and nedit and therefore could be appealing to a broader spectrum of users than a pico clone. Also resources usage is significantly less, plus lack of any dependencies.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:11:50 AM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline tinypoodle

Updating Installation Page
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 06:58:30 AM »
As the installation page might get a "refresh" I'd like to add a few thoughts of my own:

• When PPR mode is mentioned I don't see an explanation (e.g. "Personal Persistent Repository (PPR)") or reference to the Core concepts page. I wonder also if it needs to be highlighted. When I first read about TC and went to the (older version) of the concepts page, I was honestly somewhat repulsed. It took me several times of reading and toying around with TC until it become clearer what these modes meant. At that time there were 4 modes listed and to me it appeared they were given equal prominence. That page has since been revised and is IMHO certainly better now.
    It is my observation that PPI is very rarely mentioned in recent forum posts, and when answering questions from useres I implicitly assume that they use PPR. In my view it has become the default installation (by a fairly wide margin). Maybe that should be reflected by just mentioning it once in the introduction (with a reference to the Core concept page) and removing it entirely from the rest of the page (mind you, I counted only 3 occurences anyway).

+1

• Whilst the inclusion of the "waitusb=5" note is critical, I wonder whether the fact that the value of 5 seconds is not written in stone needs to be included. I also wonder whether the "waitusb=x:(LABEL|UUID)=y" feature should be mentioned in there as well. Or wouldn't it make more sense to enhance the FAQ regarding this feature, and include a reference to the (enhanced) FAQ section back in the install page. BTW, the 'F3' file of the ISO, as well as the boot codes section of the FAQ could do with an update in that regard.

Besides from "waitusb=x:(LABEL|UUID)=y" being technically optimal but more difficult to communicate, I'd make that "waitusb=10" for USB 2.0 and "waitusb=30" for USB 1.1 to stay on the safe side for various setups, perhaps with a hint that once it works users could experiment by reducing value to approach the limit.

• Another question for me is whether it would make sense to add a note at the end that other boot loaders (e.g. GRUB2, (sys|ext)linux) are avaiable and details of their use can be found via Wiki pages (again with appropriate links).

It might be a good idea to explicitly state that grub is an optional choice out of all Linux bootloaders available, and not particular to TC.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:12:16 AM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »
Please no flamewars on $EDITOR or $BOOTLOADER. A mention that the used ones (vi and grub) are just examples is ok, but starting to list alternatives is a slippery slope.

More specifically, such lists are fine in the wiki, so a link there maybe, but IMHO not in the primary doc.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:29:31 AM by curaga »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.