WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Issues with PPI  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Wolftousen

Issues with PPI
« on: October 12, 2010, 06:53:22 PM »
Ok, i get fed up with Ubuntu almost a year ago due to it shoving things down my throat I didn't care for.  I shouldn't install an OS and have to sift through the app manager to get rid of crap I don't need. Thus when I saw TC, it reignited my drive to use linux again.

I've gone through the installation as guided by the simple guide, but am having some issues getting persistance when it comes to applications (openssh and iptables are the only things I want at the moment).

System:
EEE901 (with very broken screen b/c of very fat dumb cat)

I have set my boot options as such:
home=sda1 local=sda1 tce=sda1 restore=sda1 opt=sda1

My opt/bootlocal.sh:
/usr/local/sbin/basic-firewall
/usr/local/etc/init.d/openssh start

My opt/.filetool.lst:
opt/bootlocal.sh
opt/bootsync.sh
opt/shutdown.sh
opt/tcemirror
opt/.filetool.lst
opt/.xfiletool.lst
home
etc/shadow
etc/group
etc/passwd
usr/local/etc/ssh/ssh_config
usr/local/etc/ssh/sshd_config

ls of /mnt/sda1 gives:
boot
lost+found
opt
tclocal
home
mydata.tgz
tce

I've run the control panel "Set TCE Drive" and the "System Tools" "PPISetup".

After all that, I open the appbrowser and proceed to install openssh and iptables.  I test openssh starting it (/usr/local/etc/init.d/openssh start) by using putty on my win7 machine and it works just fine.

Then after the reboot, the command: /usr/local/etc/init.d/openssh start : no longer works.  openssh appears as a symbolic link in ls of /usr/local/etc/init.d though.

I don't believe Iptables is running after the reboot either.

As far as I can tell, I've done all the steps for persistence.  What am i missing to be able to have my apps there (and runnable) on reboot?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Issues with PPI
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 07:09:31 PM »
I suggest you re-read the wiki.
You are mixing modes.
You have /opt as persistent "opt=sda1" yet you still have opt files in .filetool.lst.
You have home as persistent "home=sda1" yet you still have home in .filetool.lst.
Extensions are loop mounted, and their contents are linked in the appropriate directories.

I suggest you use only the boot option "tce=sda1" untill you fully understand what the others do.
If sda is a USB drive, you should also add the boot option "waitusb=5".

Offline Wolftousen

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 07:44:14 PM »
Thanks, that fixed it.

Is there anyway to have iptables settings be persistent without persistant opt?

Offline maro

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 08:50:57 PM »
All files that are meant to "survive" a re-boot need to be in the backup (i.e. '.../tce/mydata.tgz'). What goes into this file is controlled by a "whitelist" (i.e. '/opt/.filetool.lst') and a "blacklist" (i.e. '/opt/.xfiletool.lst'). Therefore any additional config files need to be added to the former.

When you are later ready to move to a "persistent opt" you just need to make suitable arrangements: e.g. those '/opt' files are either to be removed from the "whitelist" or the whole directory is to be black-listed. In the end your persistence is the "sum" of persistent extensions, plus persistent opt, plus files included in the backup. Obviously similar steps are to be undertaken for "persitent home".

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 03:05:44 AM »
Hmm, perhaps a more generous usage of the terms "whitelist" & "blacklist" in this context might help from an aspect of communication.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)