WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: dell demension L933r stalled installation with 3.1 and too dark with 2.11.1  (Read 8864 times)

Offline ejames82

there was still a problem with the internet connection (it wouldn't survive a reboot).  i had to copy the extension to tce/optional of the hard drive.  after mounting the flash drive.

cp /mnt/sda1/tce/optional/firmware-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tcz /mnt/hda1/tce/optional/firmware-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tcz

the terminal replies: OK

still need to control panel>network>dhcp

to make changes survive a reboot:
control panel>apps audit>on boot>boot maintenance>click extension on left side until it appears on right side>close
backup...backup...backup

Offline ejames82

maro,

i tried to get the boot options so i could try the "vga=ask" suggestion, and the option was not given.  after 2-3 hours of checking the wiki, concepts, and this thread, i've noticed a few things:

in the wiki it says the boot options screen comes up with the cd.  since this is now installed to hard drive, that explains why boot options screen is unavailable.

also, i am using Xorg.  that is what curaga suggested i try because the screen was so dark.  i pushed f2>tinycore xsetup and 800x600 (i'm trying to recall all of this from memory as best i can).  my fault.  i should've caught that.

how many different types of video mode are there?  i guess it's a good thing there's more than one.  the more there are the better off we ALL are.

how does this change things?  am i out of gas because i'm using Xorg?

thanks again.   
backup...backup...backup

Offline maro

Just a few points:

(1) Only extensions listed in '.../tce/onboot.lst' will be loaded at boot time. As I'm not using 'appsaudit' I can't guide you there, but "looking" into that file (e.g. via cat /mnt/hda1/tce/onboot.lst in case of your hard disk install) should clarify the status of your firmware extension. My expectation would be that a timely load of the firmware extension saves you from having to "fiddle around" later on.

(2) I've tried to make it clear in my reply #28 that boot codes are to be specified during the phase when the boot loader is "in control". What you get after pressing F2 or F3 when booting the TC CD-ROM is merely the display of simple help files, as specified in the config file (i.e. '/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg'). Those help files on the CD-ROM mention just some of the possible boot codes, but not all of them (e.g. 'vga=ask' is one not mentioned).

When you install to a USB drive or a hard disk none of these help files will be made available via the respective boot loaders (unless you'd undertake it yourself). It is probably assumed that the users have already figured out what they need and don't require a help screen option on an ongoing basis.

(3) For the GRUB boot loader to change boot codes you have two ways: permanent changes by editing the config file (e.g. '/mnt/hda1/boot/grub/menu.lst'), or one-off changes by pressing 'e' to get into the "edit mode", and after you've finished your alterations pressing the approriate key to continue the boot process.

(4) For your testing with 'Xvesa' as X server it is vital that the Xorg extension is NOT installed at boot time. I therefore suggested to use the 'base' boot code (as a one-off it is probably no issue that the firmware extension would also not get installed). The permamnet way to disable Xorg would be via 'appsaudit' (don't know it myself), or editing of 'onboot.lst' (see above).

Offline ejames82

maro,

"Only extensions listed in '.../tce/onboot.lst' will be loaded at boot time. "looking" into that file (e.g. via cat /mnt/hda1/tce/onboot.lst in case of your hard disk install)"
1. it was difficult to find.  xfe file manager wouldn't show it.  i had to use the terminal.
2. correct, it was in /mnt/hda1/tce

"should clarify the status of your firmware extension. My expectation would be that a timely load of the firmware extension saves you from having to "fiddle around" later on."
1. the firmware extension was, indeed, there.  no other info was given.  just the fact that it's there, tells its status (i would assume).
2. if the firmware extension was not there, i would have to run the commands to copy/move and tce-load.

"boot codes are to be specified during the phase when the boot loader is "in control". What you get after pressing F2 or F3 when booting the TC CD-ROM is merely the display of simple help files, as specified in the config file (i.e. '/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg'). Those help files on the CD-ROM mention just some of the possible boot codes, but not all of them (e.g. 'vga=ask' is one not mentioned)."
acknowledged, though not mentioned, 'vga=ask' is available (i hope).  this was one tool this apprentice wants to try out.

"When you install to a USB drive or a hard disk none of these help files will be made available via the respective boot loaders (unless you'd undertake it yourself). It is probably assumed that the users have already figured out what they need and don't require a help screen option on an ongoing basis."
this is very reasonable thinking.  i don't blame them (the developers).

"For the GRUB boot loader to change boot codes you have two ways: permanent changes by editing the config file (e.g. '/mnt/hda1/boot/grub/menu.lst'), or one-off changes by pressing 'e' to get into the "edit mode", and after you've finished your alterations pressing the approriate key to continue the boot process."
yes, i posted a screenshot only a few posts back, of the screen i think you're referring to.  there's options to modify kernel or initrd.  i tried this once with ubuntu.  though it didn't fix the display problem, the computer didn't blow up either.  i felt victorious.

"For your testing with 'Xvesa' as X server it is vital that the Xorg extension is NOT installed at boot time. I therefore suggested to use the 'base' boot code (as a one-off it is probably no issue that the firmware extension would also not get installed). The permamnet way to disable Xorg would be via 'appsaudit' (don't know it myself), or editing of 'onboot.lst' (see above)."
i've decided to pull this hard drive (it works nicely, i don't want to mess it up) and put another in, then boot from cd and start fresh.  this way, i will once again be offered the 'boot options' screen.  i'll avoid installing to hard drive.  i want to try out the stuff you explained in post #28 (i believe) thoroughly.
i hope you continue to keep an eye of this thread.  i'll try not to be too much of a pain.  i'll keep it short and sweet.  i don't want to wear out my welcome.

thank you for another great post.

backup...backup...backup

Offline tinypoodle

Those help files on the CD-ROM mention just some of the possible boot codes, but not all of them (e.g. 'vga=ask' is one not mentioned)."
acknowledged, though not mentioned, 'vga=ask' is available (i hope).  this was one tool this apprentice wants to try out.

Yes because it is not at all specific to TC.

Code: [Select]

vga= [BOOT,X86-32] Select a particular video mode
See Documentation/x86/boot.txt and
Documentation/svga.txt.
Use vga=ask for menu.
This is actually a boot loader parameter; the value is
passed to the kernel using a special protocol.

I would use vga=ask whenever booting any distro for the first time, until being sure to predefine a specific mode.

For all kernel boot parameters:
http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline ejames82

tinypoodle,

awesome archive.  i like having that info in my thread.   :)  it's easy to find that way.

maro,

i am going to sound even more foolish when i tell you, it probably is xvesa i'm using after all.
i boot from the disk and push f2, then i type 'tinycore xsetup', and i'm offered a list of possible choices.  i tried them all, and the only one that would work, was the one i had before; 800x600.
i tried all of the 'vga=ask' choices as well.  i either got 'no signal', a black screen, or an error message of some kind.  still great to know these tricks, though.
it looks like i have exhausted all options, but the computer works darn good!  And got lot's of great info as well.
if you have any specific procedure in mind that i've missed, i'm still willing to try something else.  otherwise, i think we've taken it as far as we can.

thanks alot, tinypoodle and maro.
backup...backup...backup

Offline ejames82

today the hard drive failed so a reinstall was needed, but this time i used version 3.4.1.

i anticipated the same problems that i had last time with this demension l933r:
1. no internet connectivity
2. dark display after installation

INTERNET CONNECTIVITY
it's a good thing i save the firmware-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tcz extension on a floppy, because i accidentally erased a flash drive that the firmware-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tcz extension was also on.
insert floppy
sudo su
mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/fd0
can't be loaded as root
tce-load -i /mnt/fd0/firmware-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tcz
copied for persistence.  may need sudo
cp /mnt/fd0/firmware-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tcz /mnt/hda1/tce/optional
control panel>apps audit>on boot maintenance-put extension on onboot list

DISPLAY
boot options are no longer available after installation without installation media
necessary is using f2, f3, and f4 at prompt before installation to note available options.
options listed that applied to me to resolve this problem were:
1. tinycore xsetup
2. tinycore vga=ask
3. tinycore xvesa=800x600x32

the only options that would work for me were:
1. tinycore xsetup
2. tinycore xvesa=800x600x32

however, unless i edited my /mnt/hda1/boot/grub/menu.lst file, the changes would not survive a reboot.
this edit would need to be made at the end of the kernel line, but the "tinycore xsetup" option required two more screens (resolution and mouse type) every bootup.  the real solution was the "tinycore xvesa=800x600x32" choice, where there are no extra screens to contend with.

backup...backup...backup

Offline ejames82

i wanted to add this for clarity.  my /mnt/hda1/boot/grub/menu.lst

default 0
timeout 10
title tinycore
kernel /boot/bzImage quiet tinycore xvesa=800x600x32
initrd /boot/tinycore.gz                           
backup...backup...backup