WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Mount Tool should refresh more  (Read 2137 times)

Offline philip

Mount Tool should refresh more
« on: September 30, 2010, 10:13:12 PM »
This is closer to a suggestion than a bug report. It concerns the "Mount Tool" supplied with the Control Panel.

If the mount tool is open on the desktop and you do some mounting or unmounting from the command line, the mount tool on the desktop can fall out of sync with the true state of the system. Cycling through available block devices by clicking the sideways arrows on the mount tool doesn't improve this situation. The behaviour suggests that the mount tool has an internal table of partition statuses. I would prefer the mount tool to be stateless, so it has to check the status of a device each time one of those arrows gets selected and the tool has to put a new device name on the screen. I suspect (but do not *know*) that this first-level idea may be not too onerous to implement. The second level would be harder: update the status of the currently-displayed partition immediately, whenever it changes, with no user interaction on the tool itself. This would presumably require some kind of polling, or sensitivity to a mount/umount "event" somewhere. If Team TC deems this not worth the overhead or coding effort, I can sympathize. But my understanding is only partial, so I am ready to be thoroughly impressed if our experts can achieve the latter improvement as well.

Thanks for considering this one.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: Mount Tool should refresh more
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 07:33:11 AM »
It is not a bug when it operates as designed. It was a conscience decision not to fire up a daemon. Part of the tiny and nimble operation of Tiny Core.  Will take it as a suggestion.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 07:41:19 AM »
It is not a bug when it operates as designed. It was a conscience decision not to fire up a daemon.

Thanks god for that...
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline philip

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 08:20:36 AM »
It was a conscience decision not to fire up a daemon.
Thanks god for that...
Please note that the original post shares this philosophy: "If Team TC deems this not worth the overhead ..., I can sympathize."

I'm happy with "suggestion" status. Thanks for considering the issue.