WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: network setup discussion [was Re: microcore_v3.2rc1]  (Read 4367 times)

Offline maro

network setup discussion [was Re: microcore_v3.2rc1]
« on: September 30, 2010, 06:30:11 PM »
Not a bug but merely a question that popped up: For TC users that can't use DHCP we have 'network' (which I've now called a GUI "wrapper" twice within the last 24h in some postings). What do we have on offer for the MC users (or the TC users without a running X server)?

Do we trust that they are aware of the three commands they need to execute (i.e. "ifconfig ... up", "route add ..." and "echo ... > /etc/resolv.conf")? Should this maybe be put somewhere on the FAQ page, or would it make sense to have a minimal script?

Such a script could prompt the user for at least the desired IP address and then offer default values for the remaining parameters (whilst allowing to overwrite these defaults). In the end a (temporary) script could be created that the user could re-use if the setup has proven to work (e.g. by moving to '/opt', inclusion in the backup and call from '/opt/bootlocal.sh').

Well, just a thought ...

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
network setup discussion [was Re: microcore_v3.2rc1]
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 07:15:28 PM »
I don't see "average" users using MicroCore.
Do people advanced enough to customize a MicroCore system into something useful need
a script to setup a static IP?

Offline maro

Re: network setup discussion [was Re: microcore_v3.2rc1]
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:41:39 PM »
gerald_clark: That was exactly what I asked myself and then forgot to write down in the post.

I tend to agree that MC users probably have the ability to figure it out themselves. But I was more guided by the thought that in some cases (e.g. 'ab' vs. 'appbrowser') such a script is included. I'm certainly not suggesting that there is an urgent need, merely a possible "nice to have".

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
Re: network setup discussion [was Re: microcore_v3.2rc1]
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 08:44:06 PM »
Hmm...

I use microcore exclusively although, I confess, I virtually always run a GUI (core elements + jwm + wbar) on top of it and until recently I would have been a little iffy setting up the network by hand.

I always use a static IP address but I used to always set it up by running netcardconfig (now "network") from the control panel until I needed to learn how to do it the under script control (to boot different physical hosts w/different static IPs from the same media, w/o user intervention).

So yeah, a cli version of netcardconfig would be "nice to have", but probably not a "need" for many users..

I'm not sure it was a great idea to change the name from "netcardconfig" to "network", though.

Edit - 2013-12-04: I finally got around to writing such a script.  I'll post it in the programming and scripting area shortly.  Lee
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 12:36:31 PM by Lee »
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar