WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Java Plugin for Browser Microcore  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Terminator3000

Java Plugin for Browser Microcore
« on: September 30, 2010, 04:35:21 PM »
Does anyone know how to get the Java browser plugin working for Chromium and Epiphany in Microcore ?

My Microcore/LXDE installation has Java JDK 6 properly installed including paths etc and also BlueJ IDE all working fine.

However when trying to view anything java in both browsers it shows that there is a plugin missing (java !!) So I need to enable plugin.There is jre within the jdk folder which  has the plugins,but coming from Ubuntu where everything 'just works'(not knocking it) here of course we have to work a little harder
     I suspect I can make some kind of symlink shortcut from jre to mozilla plugins directory like there is with the flash etc but dont know how.

I know that java (jdk) is working fine thanks to tips from earlier post.

Tips welcome Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 05:34:05 PM by Terminator3000 »

Offline Terminator3000

Re: Java Plugin for Browser Microcore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 07:20:36 PM »
UPDATE

I found the other post about creating symlinks to the .so files in jdk/jre within the/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory and that fixed up BOTH browsers fine.

I just symlinked   2 files, libjavaplugin_oji.so and libnpjp2.so (they are in different directories in jre) to the mozilla/plugins directory.

I'd guess that you'd have to have Epiphany installed as well as Chromium.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:31:25 PM by Terminator3000 »

Offline maro

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:46:45 PM »
Terminator3000: Be so good as to provide a link to the post that you used to fix your issue.

That will be helpfull for future readers. Not just say "I found a solution" but also what that solution was, or where to find it. Thanks!!

Offline Terminator3000

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 05:49:06 AM »
Sorry my bad. The post I looked at is here

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=7258.0

It is regarding firefox plugin which I adapted for Epiphany and Chromium

It also links to the java.com info page (further down that are instructions to create symlinks, remember to add those  to /opt/.filetool.lst)

I will shortly put together a little guide to getting jdk6 (1.6.0_21) working in Microcore as it was a bit of a headache and it enables people to use apps like Aptana3 etc.