WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How was TCL built?  (Read 3873 times)

Offline dandart

How was TCL built?
« on: March 13, 2009, 05:10:40 AM »
How was Tiny core built? What mechanisms were used?
How did you compile such a small X and uclibc and busybox? Was it with buildroot/openembedded or from scratch? Do you have the instructions on how to do it?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: How was TCL built?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 09:50:55 AM »
TC was built manually, without scripts or environments. We do use busybox and tinyX, but normal glibc instead of uclibc. We don't have instructions for it, because that is not the goal of TC, and because there are several projects out there that do have a goal like that. Using them would probably make a lot more sense, as they do what they were designed to do very well (LFS, T2, DIY-Linux, others).

Our busybox config is at any mirror in the release/src and busybox tarball. TinyX is either built from a separate tarball (from before merging to X) or from the Xserver tarball (before 1.6, because they were removed between 1.5 and 1.6; if you wish to build one from there, I recommend one from Xserver 1.2, because several crippling changes were made after that).
As to how Xvesa got so small, Jason here did a lot of testing with different versions and editions until we hit a sweet spot with both features and size.

There was an user who wanted to replicate TC from scratch, see this thread for info:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=299.0
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline dandart

Re: How was TCL built?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
Ah, thank you for the tips! I'm going to try myself.
My aim was always to use uclibc, because I always thought glibc was far too large.