Tiny Core Base > TCB Talk

installation troubles - network card

(1/2) > >>

quneur:
Hi, I'm pretty much a newb concerning linux especially configuration. I have TC 3.1 LiveCD which worked on a different computer. I then salvaged the HD and RAM to this computer and booted the same LiveCD. But the bottom icons are now missing and the network card won't work even though its the same one I used before. The card (Belkin Cardbus - rtl8139) works with Windows XP so I do know the hardware is fine.

I don't have internet connection to the laptop but here is ifconfig eth0 (having to re-type everything);

Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:17:3F:0A:84:79
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0,0 B)
interrupt:11 Base address:0xe000

dmesg gives me 3-4 pages of information.

tinypoodle:
I'd interprete that as the interface being up but not having been given any IP.

maro:
I'm not so sure that one can already draw the conclusion that the interface is up. Luckily we don't need the whole 'dmesg' output as dmesg | grep 'eth[0-9]' should be enough.

I've now started a notebook and had no ethernet cable connected:
--- Code: ---eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95751M) rev 4201] (PCI Express) MAC address 00:12:34:56:78:9a
eth0: attached PHY is 5750 (10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet) (WireSpeed[1])
eth0: RXcsums[1] LinkChgREG[0] MIirq[0] ASF[0] TSOcap[1]
eth0: dma_rwctrl[76180000] dma_mask[64-bit]

--- End code ---
Only after inserting an ethernet cable I saw:
--- Code: ---tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.
tg3: eth0: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX.

--- End code ---
(Note: 'Link is up' being the "interesting" part)

If the link is up, I'd agree that it looks to be a DHCP issue. Or do you need to provide a fixed IP address (e.g. via the network command or from the control panel)?

tinypoodle:

--- Quote from: maro on September 30, 2010, 02:17:38 AM ---I'm not so sure that one can already draw the conclusion that the interface is up.

--- End quote ---

Are there any cases an interface could show as output of 'ifconfig' without being up?
(Of course with 'ifconfig -a' all interfaces would show, irrelevant if up or down, but I don't think that's what the OP referred to)

--- Quote ---If the link is up, I'd agree that it looks to be a DHCP issue. Or do you need to provide a fixed IP address (e.g. via the network command or from the control panel)?

--- End quote ---

Any pointers please to the 'network' command?
It does not exist at least in TC 2.10, neither have I ever noticed it in any other distro.
Due to the very generic name, I failed with any websearch, including searching online manpages.

To provide a fixed IP address I have always used 'ifconfig <interface> IP'.

quneur:
I think I screwed everything up when I transfered over the harddrive. Since I couldn't get it to work (maybe the restore point?) I reformatted and installed XP using NTFS. So, when I load TC it looks for the larger 'd' drive and uses it for swap. I've tried tinycore boot options (noswap, hda1=tce restore=hda1) but it can't create tce drive to save settings so control panel network, DCHP won't save.

I guess I'm gonna rewipe the drive with debian inorder to cfdisk it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version