Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Talk

Installing jdk1.6.0 on tinycore everything resets

(1/2) > >>

Terminator3000:
Hi,Ive been trying to install Java (JDK1.6.0) on my Tinycore RC4 installation and encountered a problem.
I create a directory /usr/java/ for the extracted jdk1.6.0 files and place them there.

I amend the /etc/profile file to include the path to java (JAVA_HOME="/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_21") and then include the line 'export JAVA_HOME'

However on rebooting,before I get a chance to check whether the path is set properly
I see that EVERYTHING has vanished.The java folder has disappeared and the /etc/profile file has reset itself and removed the lines I put in.(They were definitely entered correctly I double checked)

So on reboot it is just not registering anything that I do its like I just never did it!

I'm trying to install java so that I can use Aptana 3 (doesnt support openjdk) and Blue J but just having no luck.

Additionally,Ive noticed that my tinycore RC4 installation occasionally randomly resets itself usually after installing a new tcz file and some folders may disappear,browser disappears or just resets and starts as the install pack (chromium) and a few other strange things happen,(i may get a different desktop ie xfce).

Whether this happens just on the RC4 or happens on other releases I dont know.

Tips welcome !

SamK:

--- Quote from: Terminator3000 on September 26, 2010, 07:13:39 AM ---I create a directory /usr/java/ for the extracted jdk1.6.0 files and place them there.

I amend the /etc/profile file to include the path to java (JAVA_HOME="/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_21") and then include the line 'export JAVA_HOME'

However on rebooting,before I get a chance to check whether the path is set properly
I see that EVERYTHING has vanished.The java folder has disappeared and the /etc/profile file has reset itself and removed the lines I put in.(They were definitely entered correctly I double checked)

So on reboot it is just not registering anything that I do its like I just never did it!

--- End quote ---

One possible explanation for these symptoms might the the mode in which you are using TC.  These are described here:
http://www.tinycorelinux.com/concepts.html

The default installation of TC puts the entire file system in to RAM. As this is a volatile area any changes made will be lost on power down.  This sounds similar to the description in your opening post.

Unless a traditional type of install is conducted (think Windows, Ubuntu etc) to permanent storage such as a hard disk or flash drive your changes will not be preserved between boot-ups.

It is possible to set up TC in the traditional manner (see the wiki) and it is also possible to preserve changes when using the default mode.  The preservation is done by using an inbuilt tool called filetool.sh.  This is an automated part of the shutdown sequence.  It works by creating a compressed file of everything you wish to preserve.  This is automatically restored (uncompressed) at boot-up.

The default action is to backup everything in /opt and /home. You are attempting to create directories and files in areas that are not normally backed-up and will have to add them manually to the list that filetool.sh backs-up,  Again this is covered in the web pages.

tinypoodle:

--- Quote from: Terminator3000 on September 26, 2010, 07:13:39 AM ---
Additionally,Ive noticed that my tinycore RC4 installation occasionally randomly resets itself usually after installing a new tcz file and some folders may disappear,browser disappears or just resets and starts as the install pack (chromium) and a few other strange things happen,(i may get a different desktop ie xfce).

Whether this happens just on the RC4 or happens on other releases I dont know.

--- End quote ---

RC4 means the fourth release candidate of a certain version, but you do not specify which version...

Do you have any specific reason to run some older release candidate?

As long as the symptoms you describe exist I'd say it would be a bad move to try to install anything as complex as Xfce4 - unless it is essential to get a job done - that could lead to more complications and make troubleshooting more difficult.

Terminator3000:
Hi,just to be on the safe side I got rid of RC4 and went with version 3.1 which I presume to be stable.I installed everything fine to my hard drive which has a 2GB swap partition and a 8GB boot partiton formatted ext2.All was well and I then installed some extensions using appbrowser, namely:-) vlc,gedit,LXDE + LXDE2,Abiword,Chromium,OSS,Xarchiver.

Rebooted to the new LXDE Desktop and made some small adjustments to appearance.  THEN

Tried again with jdk1.6.0 using the same method as above.
Rebooted and AGAIN its all gone!! Java folder disappears as do the extra lines in /etc/profiles giving export path to java ! All gone,nothing.

I take the point above about using the opt folder instead which I will try but what about the export path in /etc/profiles ?

A little baffling.I'm only new to tinycore having many installations before of other distros.Drive was wiped first using Wipe Drive Pro.

Id like to get this fixed so any tips again welcome Thanks.

Terminator3000:
I'd done all the above before reading SamK's remarks about filetool,so Ill be trying that next to see if it sorts out the problem.
I need to use jdk and not openjdk in order for Aptana to work,Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version