WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Modem survival kit.  (Read 2329 times)

Offline pema

Modem survival kit.
« on: September 24, 2010, 03:24:39 AM »
Why exclude users without ethernet connection to tcl ?
Please please post necessary modem extensions somewhere available outside the tcl app browser, here in sweden everyone has now changed to mobile broadband, ethernet connection has become something we tell stories about for our kids, without ethernet connection tcl wont connect to internet and app browser wont work and no tcl, kind of catch 22 isnt it ?
Why not make a small newbie package with mc.tcz, pppd.tcz and usbserialxxx.tcz for an easy setup of new tcl installs and post it available for downloading with generic os ?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: Modem survival kit.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 09:10:55 AM »
In the programming and scripting section there is a simple to use script that will let you set up a tce directory and download extensions while on another distro that is network connected, only requires wget.

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=7243.0

Made just for these kinds of situations.

The collection of apps needed to setup an internet connection for some may just be wireless_tools.tcz and it's deps, or pppd.tcz, but others need a graphical environment like gnome or kde with perhaps wicd and all to get around in the system and set things up.  The script lets you choose the collection of apps you feel you need to boot into TC and get connected. 

Offline pema

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 07:07:19 AM »
Thank you for advicing.
This method requires a fatbuntu(safest distro for success) live cd or similar.
Downloading 750mb ubuntu live cd for installing a small tcl modem package is not very attractive, in that case I would stay with ubuntu where everything is fixed and ready(and boring and slow and large etc).
I would appreciate access downloading a small selection basic system tce's using windblows as that is unfortunately the only persistent software yet.
Of course script may work with pups but microdists sometimes have surprising limitations.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 08:18:51 AM »
Actually, any distro that has gnu wget and an  /bin/sh shell will do, and that would account for 99% of them.   That and of course the distro must be network connected.

As for being able to do the same with fat/ext2 usb keys from inside Windows, that would perhaps have some use, but likely not practical to implement, I don't know since I use Windows rarely.

Offline pema

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 01:50:09 AM »
Please just view this as an opinion, my intention is not to nag.

If TCL is to expand, grow and attract more users it has to be easier setting up, next group of users to attract to TCL would be non-linux users, the lnx-geeks has probably allready found this gem. Most of these new users will come from windblows world.
What I had in mind would be a set of basic tce's available for download from any os, webbrowser etc, typically a file manager (example mc ), basic drivers for getting started as modem drivers, display drivers, wifi drivers, just some small packages for getting a newbie started.

//Peter.