WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tcl-1.2 --lightning fast boot  (Read 4039 times)

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
tcl-1.2 --lightning fast boot
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:27:34 PM »
..even with 40 loops booting in about 15 seconds (including lilypond)....quite amazing! 

Thanks, Robert.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 11:06:06 PM by jpeters »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: tcl-1.2 --lightning fast boot
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 07:12:48 AM »
Thanks. But I can't take all the credit. Unlike my prior project Tiny Core truly is a team effort.
http://www.tinycorelinux.com/Team_TC.html
We have an awesome group of Developers, Curaga, Jason, and Juanito, who work very closely with me on developing Tiny Core.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 08:39:27 AM »
and their awesomeness can be found on the forums, too.

but there's also the awesomeness of a "bdfl" that doesn't try to take all the credit... i've been to places where it's as much of a cult of personality as anything else.

the great thing about linux is watching new giants stand on the shoulders of other giants, and when they actually admit it, that's pretty awesome.

not to mention all the people that developed the tools in the repository (and, many many thanks from me to the people that have done the work of compiling those tools for tc.)

Offline mikshaw

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 05:49:41 PM »
TC is by far the quickest boot of any desktop operating system I've used.  I'm wondering about the possibility that it might be worthy of one of these "instant-on" machines that manufacturers have recently been experimenting with.  I don't know what the boot time is with a new cpu, but 15 seconds (from grub to desktop) to boot a vanilla TC on a 600mhz machine is sweet.  On my box, that's a little less than half the time from pressing the power button to desktop, so a lot of my boot time is hardware limitations.  So lets assume a machine that can quickly get to the bootloader (or maybe have the bootloader embedded in BIOS): TC as it is would be very close to "instant on".  It might only require a few tweaks to get it to the point where it is customized for a given machine to boot "instantly".

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 10:34:08 PM »
TC is by far the quickest boot of any desktop operating system I've used. 

..and the snappiest to operate after it's booted. That will be next consideration for the instant-on consortium.