WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Configuring JWM-Snapshot  (Read 2833 times)

Offline SamK

Configuring JWM-Snapshot
« on: September 15, 2010, 02:40:57 AM »
I have JWM-Snapshot setup almost the way I want it.  There are a few aspects that are yet to be done.

The tray has been moved to the bottom of the screen.  When an app window is maximized, it covers the tray.  Is there a setting which will keep the tray visible? i.e. the app window maximizes to the screen area not occupied by the tray.

In a similar way that LXDE is able to display items on the panel is it possible for JWM to display the following on the tray?
CPU activity/load monitor
Network activity/connection details
Audio volume control
If so are these via apps in the TC3 repository.

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Configuring JWM-Snapshot
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 03:05:06 AM »
~/.jwmrc-tray

in <Tray  x="0" y="0" height="18" layer="3"> change nr. of layer  ;)

I haven't tested this at all as I prefer it the way it is by default, but think it should work.
BTW, autohide would also be an option for tray.

Load watcher.tcz and restart jwm

"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline SamK

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 04:06:16 AM »
~/.jwmrc-tray

in <Tray  x="0" y="0" height="18" layer="3"> change nr. of layer  ;)

I haven't tested this at all as I prefer it the way it is by default, but think it should work.
BTW, autohide would also be an option for tray.

Load watcher.tcz and restart jwm

This works OK.  I had tried altering the layer value previously but without success.  I used values of 0, 1 and 2 assuming that they started counting from the uppermost layer and I wanted the tray to be as "uppermost" as possible.  Using a value of 5 works fine.

Loaded watcher and swallowed to the tray and that also works OK.  I would prefer it to occupy less horizontal area. I wonder if it is possible to configure it to display only CPU rather than simultaneously CPU, memory and swap?

There is also in the TC3 repository volumeicon.tcz which also does what I want when it is swallowed to the tray.

So if I can find out how to reduce the area of watcher and find a way to display network activity it will be a good result.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 04:41:36 AM »
To understand layers, see window menu "Layer".

<Swallow name="watcher" width="89"> watcher -x </Swallow>

You can play with width= value ;)

Code: [Select]
watcher -h
for options
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 04:54:02 AM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 09:35:10 AM »
You might want to have a look at the Puppy forums. There you can find lots of stuff designed for JWM, including about 534 different cpu, mem, network tray applets ;)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline SamK

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 11:39:27 PM »
You might want to have a look at the Puppy forums. There you can find lots of stuff designed for JWM, including about 534 different cpu, mem, network tray applets ;)
534 - Should keep me going for a while.

Offline SamK

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 05:30:21 AM »
There is already an application available in the TC3 repository that provides the network information - WICD.  Simply use OnBoot to install it at boot-up, from /opt/bootlocal.sh start the daemon with wicd-start, then issue the command wicd-client & from a file in ~/.X.d and an icon is displayed in the JWM tray.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 03:30:38 PM »
Umm...

Under the thread topic Configuring JWM-Snapshot for the purpose of adding a tray applet to a window manager recommending an extension which has 39 dependencies and is roughly about 38 times as big as the wm itself[!!!] (both incl. dependencies) and about 2.3 times as big as TC base appears like a huge disproportionality.

Also, if one reaches to a point of having to run a daemon at boot for this purpose (besides from a client), then one could ask oneself what's the point of selecting a small footprint wm.

::)

As curaga mentions
about 534 different cpu, mem, network tray applets
I'd bet chances are very high that whoever is keen to search would find something more within a rational proportion to the purpose.

Offline SamK

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 01:03:51 AM »
Under the thread topic Configuring JWM-Snapshot for the purpose of adding a tray applet to a window manager recommending an extension which has 39 dependencies and is roughly about 38 times as big as the wm itself[!!!] (both incl. dependencies) and about 2.3 times as big as TC base appears like a huge disproportionality.
The term recommend was not used, nor was it implied or intended.  To suggest otherwise is a simple misinterpretation of what is meant.

Also, if one reaches to a point of having to run a daemon at boot for this purpose (besides from a client), then one could ask oneself what's the point of selecting a small footprint wm.

As curaga mentions
about 534 different cpu, mem, network tray applets
I'd bet chances are very high that whoever is keen to search would find something more within a rational proportion to the purpose.
The design objectives of this project have not been disclosed, therefore it is unclear how the use of unspecified applications "would" produce an outcome "more within a rational proportion to the (undisclosed) purpose".  If the intention is to comment generally on the resource usage of TC applications, perhaps consideration might be given to creating extensions (and placing them in the repository) of applications from Puppy or other acceptable sources.  In this way the entire TC/MC community may benefit.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 05:03:25 AM »
The design objectives of this project have not been disclosed, therefore it is unclear how the use of unspecified applications "would" produce an outcome "more within a rational proportion to the (undisclosed) purpose".

By "purpose" I was referring to the opening post of this thread (And I think so was the suggestion of curaga):

In a similar way that LXDE is able to display items on the panel is it possible for JWM to display the following on the tray?
CPU activity/load monitor
Network activity/connection detail

If the intention is to comment generally on the resource usage of TC applications

Well, rather the opposite of that, commenting on the resource usage or rather requirements (size of dependency chain, running of demon requirement) of one very specific app which is not at all typical for TC apps. 

(A broader discussion about the installation/use of wicd can be found in this thread: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=7199.0 )