WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Identifying an Unknown Network Adaptor  (Read 2588 times)

Offline SamK

Identifying an Unknown Network Adaptor
« on: September 09, 2010, 01:08:21 AM »
I have a USB adaptor based on rtl8192  which is working well using ndiswrapper and the WinXP driver.

The adaptor is unbranded and has no external markings to identify manufacturer, model, chipset etc.  Fortunately, it was supplied with a CD-ROM containing the drivers.  If this had not been the case, or if the CD-ROM is mislaid, how would one identify the required chipset/driver.

Is there an app that can do this?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Identifying an Unknown Network Adaptor
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 01:29:50 AM »
lsusb will tell the chipset, but otherwise I think it's googling.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline SamK

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 01:55:21 AM »
lsusb does not feature as an app in the TC3 repository.  Searching for it in the repo also turns up blank.  Is it included as part of an existing TC3 extension?

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 02:18:31 AM »
usb-utils

You can use the "provides" button in the app browser to search for individual files in extensions - click on the "search" button to toggle to "provides"

Offline SamK

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 02:45:13 AM »
usb-utils

You can use the "provides" button in the app browser to search for individual files in extensions - click on the "search" button to toggle to "provides"
OK that works and I have usb-utils containing lsusb - thanks.

It leads me to ask an unforeseen question.  The name usb-utils implies multiple utilities are contained in the extension.  How does one find out what the others are if the names of them are unknown?  usb-utils --help returns sh: usb-utils: not found

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 02:49:41 AM »
You can use the app browser "connect", then scroll down to usb-utils and select the "list" tab to see all of the files in the extension.

Alternatively, you can go here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/tcz_3x.html and click on "list" towards the end of the usb-utils row.

..or, if you have loaded the usb-utils extension, you can look in /tmp/tcloop/usb-utils to see the files in the extension

Offline SamK

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 03:23:23 AM »
You can use the app browser "connect", then scroll down to usb-utils and select the "list" tab to see all of the files in the extension.

Alternatively, you can go here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/tcz_3x.html and click on "list" towards the end of the usb-utils row.

..or, if you have loaded the usb-utils extension, you can look in /tmp/tcloop/usb-utils to see the files in the extension
OK, I understand that as I already look through the files list in App Browser.  I was really just inquiring if Provides (or similar) also lists the individual utilities/apps (as opposed to all files) contained in a meta extension.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 04:59:58 AM »
I was really just inquiring if Provides (or similar) also lists the individual utilities/apps (as opposed to all files) contained in a meta extension.

No - but it's a reasonable bet that everything under */bin or */sbin in the "list" tab would be a utility/app