WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: usb  (Read 2549 times)

Offline droid

usb
« on: September 04, 2010, 12:59:58 PM »
hi,

i copied the tiny 3 iso onto a usb key and am running it from there which is fine, but how do I access the usb key to install tinycore onto my drive ( I have a SSD acer aspire one ) I tried using find and gtkfind to no avail. if i do fdisk -l it shows sdb1 but I cannot seem to mount it.

Offline maro

Re: usb
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 05:10:47 PM »
TC is not auto-mounting by default. You can find out which devices have been successfully detected (and a mount point been prepared) by using grep mnt /etc/fstab (to check what devices are already mounted I would use mount | grep mnt). If your device is showing up in '/etc/fstab' it might be just the case of using mount /mnt/sdb1 (or whatever device / mount point you choose) to achieve your goal.

There are conditions where it is necessary to re-run the device recognition (via sudo rebuildfstab). Also bear in mind that when using a USB device for persistence the boot code of 'waitusb=x' (with the value of 'x' being a delay in seconds to ensure the proper recogition, e.g. 5-15 seconds) will be required.

BTW the BusyBox version of 'find' is part of the Core, but to use 'gtkfind' you will have to install the respective extension (which should be 'gtkfind.tcz', IIRC). How either of them would help me in working out the mouning question is a bit a mystery to me, but you might have a cunning plan ...

Offline droid

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 02:04:02 AM »
sorry, never stated my problem clearly. im trying to find the files tinycore.gz and bzimage to copy to my sdd.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 02:40:28 AM »
The files will be in something similar to /mnt/sda1/boot, /mnt/sdb1/boot, etc

If you check the last few lines of dmesg, you should be able to see if sdb1 is indeed your usb stick:
Code: [Select]
$ dmesg | tail -20

Offline SamK

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 02:44:00 AM »
If you are trying to install TC3 onto your machine you may find the guides in the wiki helpful.  Have a look here:
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/Installing+TC

This link may also give you a few additional ideas:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=7120.msg37978

« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 02:47:29 AM by SamK »

Offline droid

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:07:05 PM »
nope still cant find the usb stick with tinycore on. sda1 is the SSD of my netbookand is mounted by tinycore, nothing else is there.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 06:27:41 PM »
try:
Code: [Select]
blkid
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)