WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: IP network conflicts- suspend mode  (Read 3416 times)

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
IP network conflicts- suspend mode
« on: March 09, 2009, 02:51:17 AM »
I was getting a lot of network conflicts coming out of suspend mode, as the IP address was being  reassigned to another computer on the network (i.e, loud screeching noise from my girlfriend). Turning off the connection (eg, "sudo ifconfig eth0 down") when going into suspend mode solved the problem. (I have to turn off OSS sound as well. so added it to my suspend script).  Turning it back on gets a new IP address without the need to reboot. (eg "sudo ifconfig eth0 up; sudo udhcp -i eth0"). Think I'll add an eth0 button  to my dock..
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 02:56:47 AM by jpeters »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: IP network conflicts- suspend mode
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 09:37:34 AM »
This is not a limitation in TC, but a design of DHCP.
Your comp appears to be offline, so it assumes the IP can be reassigned. Perhaps lengthen the assignment period in your router?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 01:51:18 PM »
Your comp appears to be offline, so it assumes the IP can be reassigned. Perhaps lengthen the assignment period in your router?

..definitely not blaming tc. I thought I might need a new router until I figured out why the network kept going down. Turning the connection off and on when suspending stopped the screeching.   :)

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 10:15:40 PM »

...problem was partially solved by renewing after suspend, but overall problem continued. I noticed my dsl, tcl, laptops are all named "box" by default, so I edited /etc/hostname and created DHCP reservations in the router configuration.  I'm not sure if having several computers on the network all named "box" matters given different MAC addresses, but something is sure weird (the router would keep interchanging the local IP addresses so that nothing worked until reseating it).     

Offline tics

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 10:28:57 PM »
I was getting a lot of network conflicts coming out of suspend mode, as the IP address was being  reassigned to another computer on the network (i.e, loud screeching noise from my girlfriend). Turning off the connection (eg, "sudo ifconfig eth0 down") when going into suspend mode solved the problem. (I have to turn off OSS sound as well. so added it to my suspend script).  Turning it back on gets a new IP address without the need to reboot. (eg "sudo ifconfig eth0 up; sudo udhcp -i eth0"). Think I'll add an eth0 button  to my dock..

Hey Peter! Thanks for writing. I have the same problem here and i cant find a way to solve this problem too. When you said ""sudo ifconfig eth0 up; sudo udhcp -i eth0" in "udhcp" thats not exist in TinyHardCore you mean "udhcpc" right?

You made a button? Hehe... I was thinking in create some script to start with the x...
Peace, out  ;D