WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: boot time SW corruption check  (Read 8766 times)

Offline tinypoodle

Re: boot time SW corruption check
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 08:57:33 AM »
I just did some fairly quick tests (with TC 3.1rc2) as I found the whole question rather interesting.

Rather interesting indeed... Thanks for sharing results of your tests.

I also tried to see what happens when 'tinycore.gz' gets "damaged". I therefore choose to "flip" just one bit with the help of a hex editor in 'tinycore.gz' (offset: 0x300). I had mixed results when trying to un-compress this 'tinycore_faulty.gz':

• The BusyBox 'gzip' failed to un-compress the file when I tried gzip -d tinycore_faulty.gz (with gzip: crc error and gzip: error inflating)
  • But it produced an output when I did gzip -cd tinycore_faulty.gz > tinycore_faulty.cpio (again spitting out the same warnings as before)

Makes me wonder what would happen with:

Code: [Select]
gzip -df tinycore_faulty.gz or
Code: [Select]
gunzip -f tinycore_faulty.gzin case you still have the bit flipped initrd.

• Likewise on XP I found most tools I tested refused to un-compress, when they spotted the CRC error. But some produced a file (albeit "under protest").

FWIW, I can remember that I had some corrupted rar archives under DOS which would only decompress with an added switch.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline gadget42

Re: boot time SW corruption check
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2022, 02:15:15 AM »
Supposedly ZFS can detect and correct bit-level errors. Then again, I don't think anything can boot linux from ZFS. TC can read & write using the zfs-fuse extension, though.

concerning zfs and booting linux:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25280.msg164654.html#msg164654
The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580