WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How to save settings when turn off the MC or TC ?  (Read 1833 times)

Offline dashism

How to save settings when turn off the MC or TC ?
« on: August 28, 2010, 06:20:35 AM »
hi there
I have problem with saving the settings that I`ve done with Tiny Core when I want to turn it off . I mean when I install some extensions I dont have them after a reboot or shutdown .
this is not good because I want to run an Access Point with micro core . 

any help will be appreciated

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: How to save settings when turn off the MC or TC ?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 07:14:43 AM »
If you used the appbrowser to install the extensions and your /tce folder is on some kind of permanent storage, the the extensions should be loaded the next time you boot.

Are the extension you miss included in /tce/onboot.lst?

Offline dashism

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 11:09:12 AM »
yes
I`ve used appbrowser and set /mnt/hda1/tce for my backup directory so this folder must save the extensions but I didn't know about /tce/onboot.lst . is it a boot script or something like that ? and should I create it ? If yes how can I do that ?
and this is same for created directories and routing table ?
BTW thank you for your response

Offline maro

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 05:33:22 PM »
@dashism: A little explanation here that might help in your troubleshooting:

When TC / MC boots it checks if a 'tce' boot code has been provided to guide it in finding the extensions. Alternatively it will scan all hard disks (and USB pendrives) for the existance of a '/tce' directory in the root of any of the partitions. It will use the first one it finds (hence one will need to use the boot code if more than one '/tce' directory exists). For USB pendrives one will have to use the 'waitusb=x' boot code (with 'x' the maximum wait time in seconds, e.g. 5-15 seconds) to give TC / MC a chance for the hardware to be properly recognised. You can find out what has been identified with cat /opt/.tce_dir, which should be '/mnt/hda1/tce' in your case.

When you install an extension with 'appbrowser' (using the 'Install' button) the tcz-file (plus it's dependencies and checksums) should be downloaded to the '.../tce/optional' directory. Furthermore an entry of the extension name should be added to the '.../tce/onboot.lst'. This file (in your case it should be '/mnt/hda1/tce/onboot.lst') will be used to determine which extensions are getting loop-mounted (i.e. installed) at the following reboot.

I hope that this explanation will provide you with enough information to check things out on your own system. If you are curious enough and really want to "see" how the "magic" happens (which requires some knowledge about shell scripts) I should mention that:
  • /etc/init.d/tc-config is the main startup script that deals with the majority of the boot codes (e.g. 'waitusb'), it then uses
  • /usr/bin/tce-setup to identify the 'tce' directory and process the 'onboot.lst' file using
  • /usr/bin/tce-load to perform the installation (e.g. loop-mounting). This is that same script that performs the "heavy lifting" for the 'appbrowser'.
Please note that there are other files involved in it (which you should be able to find out on your own), but those would be the main ones.

More importantly you won't need to "dive into" any of this to solve your issue. I just thought to mention it in case you want to really get to the bottom of it.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 03:49:40 AM »
When TC / MC boots it checks if a 'tce' boot code has been provided to guide it in finding the extensions. Alternatively it will scan all hard disks (and USB pendrives) for the existance of a '/tce' directory in the root of any of the partitions. It will use the first one it finds (hence one will need to use the boot code if more than one '/tce' directory exists).
Limited to FAT* and ext* file systems.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)