WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Remasters/Remixes Section  (Read 2651 times)

Offline tclfan

Remasters/Remixes Section
« on: August 26, 2010, 10:47:53 AM »
I do not see anything published or posted in Remasters/Remixes section.
I think sharing hard work of composing different 'flavours' (In SliTaz speak) would be quite beneficial, considering some developers and users were able to create fantastic TCL systems with working set of components that for many users are still quite a project to accomplish. There is a lot to gain in TCL popularity if it is made easier for the end users. I hope this is not out of line with TCL strategy.

Offline SvOlli

• Linux Developer
Re: Remasters/Remixes Section
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 12:01:55 PM »
Hello tclfan,

it is very hard to set up a remaster that complies with all aspects of the GPL v2, under which TCL is distributed. Please take a look here: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=7105.msg37502

I've gone a long way to get mine done and it should be released this weekend, if nothing unforeseen happens.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 02:29:36 PM »
Thank you. This effort is greatly appreciated.
Understood that TCL is governed by very strict and restrictive rules, putting lots of pressure on contributors... No wonder nothing appeared in that section considering the section has been there for a long time...

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 06:02:40 PM »
It wouldn't be a problem if those remixes were hosted here, along with the masters of tcl, would it? That's many other distros do, as far as my limited knowledge goes. It is only a problem if the remixes are hoste3d off-site. So perhaps the team could consider hosting remixes, even while not accepting responsibility for those remixes wrt to accuracy bugs etc.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 07:14:07 PM »
Jur,
This is a great idea! I am so happy some in TCL team do understand the issue. Not only understand, but have a solution too... Thanks very much for your voice and suggestion. This is (I am sure) greatly appreciated by TCL fans and users. I hope the rest of TCL team will concur...

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 07:34:09 PM »
Jur,
This is a great idea! I am so happy some in TCL team do understand the issue. Not only understand, but have a solution too... Thanks very much for your voice and suggestion. This is (I am sure) greatly appreciated by TCL fans and users. I hope the rest of TCL team will concur...
Unfortunately you misunderstood... I am not a team member. In fact from the beginning I have been persona non grata, even though a major idea of mine (OnDemand) has been adopted.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 05:58:33 AM »
Jur,
Well, to me whoever contributes to TCL whether with code, architecture design or strategy and participates to TCL benefit is deFacto a team member, even if it is an 'extended team' concept. I believe TCL is not a closed corporation but rather a project created and managed by RobertS, which attracts a fantastic team of people from various parts of the world, who contribute with their development skils, architecture design and strategy ideas. Those are attracted to this project who can appreciate the vision of TCL as well as dexterity of the project implementation. But it is thanks to the management being in the sole hands of the project creator that the direction of this project stays on course.
This is the way I see it, even if it is possible there could be some who disagree with such assessment.