WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Wireless driver rt2860-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz no longer working on TC 3.0?  (Read 3136 times)

Offline baz

On my EEE 901 running TC 2.x I would simply install the extension rt2860-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz then reboot to be able to see my ra0 wireless card in ifconfig.

Doing the same thing in TC 3.0 does not work.

I double-checked that my wireless is enabled in the BIOS.

Does the extension perhaps need to be rebuilt for TC 3.0?

Offline tinypoodle

Two extensions for the same radio but of totally different origin. Compare the two .info
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline baz

are you referring to the rt2880?

Offline tinypoodle

How so? I see topic and all content referring to rt2860  ::)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline baz

Which "two extensions" are you referring to?

Offline tinypoodle

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/2.x/tcz/rt2860.tcz.info
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/tcz/rt2860-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz.info

On my EEE 901 running TC 2.x I would simply install the extension rt2860-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz

There is no such extension and there oughtn't be, as 2.x is using the 2.6.29.1 kernel, so I had just assumed that you meant to refer to the first link here posted.

Offline baz

Oh yes, you are right - do you have a suggestion of what to do for 3.x?

Offline tinypoodle

Not really, unfortunately... Just meant to point out the fact of different origins of the two drivers which could potentially explain what you experience.
Perhaps you could contact the provider of the extension for 2.x, not sure...
Neither do I know about TC policies for drivers - this is not the only one - when in parallel a driver exists for same hardware as well in staging tree of kernel, as well as another one of origin independent from kernel.

Offline baz

I'm glad you pointed that out, I actually hadn't noticed it - now let's see if someone who knows more chimes in.

Offline tinypoodle

Well, always reading the .info of extensions can not harm, and that's really all I did after reading your first post (having no idea about the specific driver, besides from occasionally having used a ralink driver which is in the basic wireless extension)  ;)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Are you sure it's not wlan0 or some other name?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
Yes, in TC 3.0 on my eeePC 1000, the wireless adapter is now wlan0, not ra0.  I had to change a few scripts I use to manage connections.
--
ML

Offline tinypoodle

In wireless-tools there is a command 'ifrename' (I have never used it...)

Code: [Select]
ifconfig -a

shows you all existing network interfaces  ;)