WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: how to install from local repository and make extension permanent after reboot  (Read 2616 times)

Offline beerstein

Hello:
I use TC 3.0 and I love it. I use it on several machines and I have about 10-15 extensions I like and want on every machine. I downloaded the extensions from ibiblio and installed from this repository and all installed extensions are now permanent. ( I booted with tinycore tce=hda1)

As far as know, now I have all extensions and all depend. somewhere on my machine and a onboot list. So the applications show up after each reboot.

Here is what I want to do. I would like to grab all these applications and deps and necessare config files and transfer them to another machine and have them installed there and they should stay permanen after rebooting.

Can sombody help me on this please?

Thank you so much
beerstein
t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question

Offline tinypoodle

Try to tar the whole ../tce/ as is, copy it to new location, untar it and specify tce= as adequate as boot parameter.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline beerstein

Thank you so much for your hint.  So I need to copy the .tar file over and then start the new system with:

tinycore tce=hda1  or whatever permanent partition I want to select.

Did I get this right?

regards
beerstein

Offline tinypoodle

...except form forgetting to untar  ;)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline TaoTePuh

Attention!

The directory tce also contains the backup file mydata.tgz. If  you copying this you will receive (more or less) a clone of the other machine including home-directory, user settings etc.. Maybe you want to have exactly that, but you need to know what you're doing. If you really want to do, you must after untar reboot WITHOUT backup option or first unpack mydata.tgz manually and then reboot with backup option.

Moreover, this solution will not work if you have to load special things for the machine (like firmware) via onboot.lst cause this file is also part of the tce-dir. This you will have to subsequently re-edited onboot.lst manually.

I would simply copy the directory tce/optional with a USB stick or network share and then adjust the file onboot.lst by hand.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 03:07:28 AM by TaoTePuh »

Offline tinypoodle

Attention!

The directory tce also contains the backup file mydata.tgz.
Only so in a very particular scenario, not in general.
Same applies for dynamically remastered personal initrd's.

BTW, using same mydata.gz on more than one box works fine for me, only having to adapt hardware related files each time, e.g. ~/.xsession, /etc/asound.state

Moreover, this solution will not work if you have to load special things for the machine (like firmware) via onboot.lst cause this file is also part of the tce-dir. This you will have to subsequently re-edited onboot.lst manually.
I can't understand what you mean, could you elaborate?
I would simply copy the directory tce/optional with a USB stick or network share and then adjust the file onboot.lst
To avoid having to setup network shares, a very simple way would be to run tc-terminal-server, symlink tarfile to be transferred  to /netboot/ and then get it by tftp. Or if ssh is set up, scp could be used also.

Offline TaoTePuh

I can't understand what you mean, could you elaborate?

The reason for this is certainly my bad English.

I have different Note- and Netbooks in use with tc. Each of these devices is different. This one needs special firmware for WiFi, the other for Display (Xorg), the third for the network card etc ...

For this reason, each onboot.lst is machine-specific (at least in my case).

Offline tinypoodle

Oh I see what you mean now, and besides from firmware this could include drivers or other hardware specific  files as well (e.g. 915resolution).
But i don't think thatt's a biggie, I wouldn't know of any case where such needs to be onboot, so it could even be configured after booting, besides from as you mention that a preexisting onboot.lst could be edited as appropriate before booting.

Offline beerstein

Thank you all so much for your help.
I think the main problem is, that when you do a local install TC "thinks" you want these extensions only
temorary. I need to make a local install while TC thinks it is ibiblio install.
A server via localhost might help?
The problems with individual settings of each machine should not be a problem? Firefox and Leafpad should show up after reboot.

Regards
beerstein