Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Q&A Forum

What Windows Manager is Right for TCL

(1/2) > >>

tclfan:
Please recommend the best one for TCL considering:
- Light as much as possible
- Reasonably looking (Not to crude)
- Support for core important functions

I tried Hackedbox, Openbox, JWM, Icewm and some others...
All these appear to have some issues, such as Hackedbox video corruption conflict with Wbar, not speaking of silly themes, Openbox has pre-populated menu items ready for LXDE it seems, etc... None seems clear choice in terms of presentation and functionality and it is not a matter of taste only...
Is it that light Windows Managers (Their development that is) have been forgotten by developers in the face of this overwhelming bloat of KDE and Gnome?
Please give me a good one, worthwhile for TCL that is not at dead end...

jur:
Openbox is fully compliant, I use it, but the repo version needs updating with the scripts that the team wrote for it which were not included in the latest version. I added the scripts for myself. Bmarkus indicated so time ago to me he would add the scripts.

jerramy:
Shocking.  I expected a religious war to come about from this question.  Must be everyone's equally confused about the various options.

I personally like fluxbox, though it didn't work flawlessly when I tried it with TCL.  

What I most miss from windows is the ability to open a file manager, and drag a file out onto the desktop (or just a shortcut).  Any suggestions on a file manager / window manager combo that supports that, in a minimalistic fashion?

Jason W:
Rox supports a pinboard with something like drag to desktop features and can be used with different WMs.  Of course LXDE does that kind of stuff quite well, but may or may not be within the realm of minimalistic. 

I don't think it is so much confusion as it is folks just use what they like as each WM has it's own features.  I personally use Icewm mostly since that was my first WM I used and I like the look and feel. 

andy_jp:

--- Quote from: tclfan on August 18, 2010, 01:48:10 PM ---Openbox has pre-populated menu items ready for LXDE it seems, etc...

--- End quote ---

It is for this very reason that I created the MenuMaker extension (menumaker.tcz). To generate a menu for Openbox:

--- Code: ---mmaker OpenBox

--- End code ---

Please note that this will be required each time you install a new application which you want a menu entry for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version