WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: plz hide the libraries and dev in the app window  (Read 4387 times)

Offline jls

plz hide the libraries and dev in the app window
« on: March 06, 2009, 03:19:25 PM »
In the app window I would add a checked box named "show libraries and dev" that it should be unchecked by default. Infact I don't see the need for the user to see extensions like libxx, gtk+-2, glib1...
If u look at ubuntu, in the first menu there is a program called "add - remove programs" that is a list of choosed programs that is more user friendly then the one in synaptic.
So I would reorganize the extensions where each extension can be one of this 2 types:
-main program
-dependence, library, development

If the user will check the box they'll be showed
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 03:51:07 PM by jls_legalize »
dCore user

Offline mikshaw

Re: plz hide the libraries and dev in the app window
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 05:25:03 PM »
If the application you're downloading requires these packages, they're going to need to be downloaded, so why would there be any reason to hide them?

Offline jls

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 12:03:01 AM »
If the application you're downloading requires these packages, they're going to need to be downloaded, so why would there be any reason to hide them?
they'll be downloaded automatically, hide for the list to be more user friendly
dCore user

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 04:04:29 AM »
It's a good idea in my opinion. Perhaps a second checkbox for extensions with modules?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 04:48:32 AM »
One day we will have enough little library extensions to justify somehow hiding them.  That is a small price to pay for being modular and not including dependent libs with each extension.  I am sure a solution will emerge in time.

Offline mikshaw

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 05:15:09 AM »
You'll do what you feel is best, and it wil probably be an improvement.  I just don't see the correlation between making things invisible and making things user friendly.  It's like the boot splash that most distros seem to prefer.  If you aren't doing anything while that process...errr...processes, how does it benefit the user to pretend it's not there?  If anything, I think it's LESS user friendly, because the user is unaware of what's happening and is less likely to understand the source of possible trouble.

If hiding is implemented, I hope you will consider making "verbose" an optional setting.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 01:34:46 PM »
I agree with mikshaw for the most part.

But, I can see how some prefer not to know what goes on in their system.  Taking the boot splash example, there is a reason why it's popular with them...

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 03:13:52 PM »
Though I don't see a direct need to do so now, categorizing the extension menu in some way could make sense when we get to, say, 500 extensions.  That would be simply organization, not hiding the system from the user. 

My preference would be categories instead of a toggle switch if it were to one day happen.  But I myself am happy with the menu now.