WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Skype and TC 3.0  (Read 18137 times)

Offline tclfan

Skype and TC 3.0
« on: August 15, 2010, 09:06:31 AM »
I apologize if this is already covered in the forum postings. However searching forum I did not see this...
Question: Is Skype working with TC 3.0 and what are the latest install scripts?  I do not see the previously available install scripts.  Also is OSS working with Skype?
Thanks much for this info.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Skype and TC 3.0
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 11:02:14 AM »
Also is OSS working with Skype?

The last time I looked, skype would only work with alsa (for me at least) - I have it working fine with tc-2.x, but I didn't try with tc-3.x yet. This being said, I don't see why it wouldn't work, but you might need to play around a bit to get an icon/menu item.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 03:13:59 PM »
Juanito, Thanks much. I will try to make thiswork with alsa then.

aus9

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 03:35:41 PM »
hi

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/support/user-guides/sound-setup-linux/

summary

oss should work or alsa-oss and other alsa packages

Plus  you may need to consider .....if some other software has grabbed and not released your soundcard or sound device.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 05:42:41 AM »
Info appreciated. What actually happened to the Skype insttall scripts? I think I saw them before and they appear to be gone now?
Skype is one of the most important key software and although licensing rules for distribution perhaps prevent it from being an explicit extension, the script workaround (around the distribution license) remains quite important to be available.
I am not also sure how strict we need to be about interpretation of these distibution licenses considering some Linux distro bundle Skype installed already in their LiveCD.  Example is Austrumi, another light, run from ram LiveCD. It includes Skype already installed, ready to go...

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 08:27:17 AM »
This was discussed already. I know many distros breaking the rules, it is their bussiness, while TC follows thes rules. Skype licensing did not allow it, at least cca. half year ago it was the case.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 08:28:15 AM »
This was discussed already. I know many distros breaking the rules, it is their bussiness, while TC follows thes rules. Skype licensing did not allow it, at least cca. half year ago it was the case.

JW can provide details on it.

Béla

Offline tclfan

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 09:43:01 AM »
BMarkus,
Thank you. Rules accepted.
Taking from there, do we still have those install scripts which facilitate downloading and installing Skype?
I thing I saw them previously listed among extensions, if I am not mistaken. I do not see them anymore. I understand the process can be figured out but it would be a time saver for many.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 09:57:28 AM »
The skype install script is still in programming and scripting.  I am sure by now it could use some maintenance though. 

I will also look to see if there is some fine print that we have overlooked in the skype licensing that would allow us to distribute, as was the case with foxit reader.

Here is what I found, so looks like a premade tcz is still not doable:

https://support.skype.com/faq/FA200/Can-I-redistribute-Skype-for-Linux

[edit: fixurl]
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:44:57 AM by ^thehatsrule^ »

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 10:48:21 AM »
Other distros may be following other agreements.  I think contact was previously attempted but fell through.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 10:59:51 AM »
Jason,

This would be greatly appreciated by many if something can be done to streamline this process...
With Skype easily installed and this fantastic network support, which TCL has built in, only this mess with sound configuration remains to be sorted out in the way for TCL to become a primary communications LiveCD, that works an any machine...

Offline tclfan

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 11:27:24 AM »
I read recently that Skype goes open on Linux platform, not on Windows though - Windows code will remain proprietary. Skype plans to provide VOIP code to public OpenSource, if I am interpretting this correctly. I read it in a rush so I am not sure of the timeframe.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 11:29:39 AM »
I read recently that Skype goes open on Linux platform, not on Windows though - Windows code will remain proprietary. Skype plans to provide VOIP code to public OpenSource, if I am interpretting this correctly. I read it in a rush so I am not sure of the timeframe.

Hard to beleive that all parts of code will go open source including the triple encrytion scheme.... Lets see
Béla

Offline tclfan

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 11:58:43 AM »
This is one of these that I saw:

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3797058147.html

Looks like not all code will be released, just client.
This however is good enough for the time being and makes distribution issue of even current client relaxed.
Skype starts feeling pressure from Google Voice and ones VOIP gateway to Skype is ready, Skype will lose more ground. Skype understands competition it is facing is paramount and needs to make some concession to open architecture.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 05:24:45 AM »
only this mess with sound configuration remains to be sorted out
Reading all your posts in this thread again, i cannot find any reference to such. This makes it sound like there was a generalized "mess with sound configuration" in TC with an urgent need "to be sorted out".

Having used TC with alsa on 3 boxes with different soundcards (PPR on one - with restoring configs; netboot/cloud mode on the other two - each time installing alsa.tcz from scratch), I have not noticed any such. (Experience limited to versions 2.3 - 2.10).  ::)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)