WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: truetype in jwm  (Read 2677 times)

Offline coolcargo

truetype in jwm
« on: March 06, 2009, 04:24:49 AM »
Hi

I recompiled jwm with xft support.

It works, to some extent.

window titles have much nicer fonts, as has the date and time indication. Also in Opera, webpages are more smooth.

But, still in Opera, the menu bar (File-Edit-View-etc) seems to be still in ugly Helvetica.

Is the wm responsible for this kind of font rendering, or is it Opera itself ?

Any light on this matter ?

Cheers
Bart

Offline mikshaw

Re: truetype in jwm
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 06:32:35 AM »
I would say it's Opera.  Each application handles fonts in its own way.
While some applications will share GUI libraries (Gtk, for example), whether or not an application uses the shared libraries depends on houw it's coded and compiled.

I'm not sure what toolkit Opera uses (maybe Qt). It might have been built with limited xft support, but considering it's not open source, I'd guess it probably just needs a different font.  I'd try changing the fonts in Opera's preferences/options and see if that fixes things.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 09:23:38 AM »
The Opera build we have packed is the one with Qt built in staticly. In this build the file-edit-etc menubar can only use bitmap fonts, it's been this way ever since Opera started offering static builds. It enables Opera use without libXft and any truetype fonts.

To have Opera use scalable fonts in the menu too, get the qt3 extension and download a shared build from opera.com.

BTW, to use scalable fonts in web pages in Opera you'd only need the fontconfig and expat2 extensions, the window manager has nothing to do with it.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline coolcargo

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 06:58:40 PM »
Thanks. Will try it right away.

I had another question, but it's unrelated, so I'll start a new topic.

Bart