WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Please Help - Newbie Trying to Understand the Terminology  (Read 1601 times)

Offline antiMS

Please Help - Newbie Trying to Understand the Terminology
« on: August 12, 2010, 06:17:53 PM »
Please help!

I'm new to Linux, and can't wait to get started! I think the concept of TCL is brilliant - small, fast, allow me to configure the system the way I want, and no excess processes constantly running in the background as with Windows!

But... I'm having trouble with some of the terminology. And, I'm and trying to understand to which Mode of Operation listed on the 'Getting Started with Tiny Core Linux - Core Concepts' page the of 'Install Tiny Core Linux' page instructions refer.

Do the instructions listed on the 'Install Tiny Core Linux' page refer to the "Mount Mode of Operation: TCE/Install" listed on the Core Concepts page?

As someone who's had to re-install Windows a number of times over the past few years because it finally became virtually unusable, i.e. "system rot", I LOVE the concept of running TCL from RAM, and it re-installing during every reboot, as described on the Core Concepts page! However, I do not want to operate TCL in the "Default Mode: Cloud/Internet" listed on the Core Concepts page, because I want the ability to boot/run the computer while disconnected from the internet.

I've read the 'Introduction to Tiny Core Linux', the 'Getting Started with Tiny Core Linux - Core Concepts', and the 'Install Tiny Core Linux' web pages. I also perused the Tiny Core Linux Wiki page. And, I'm still somewhat confused.

I downloaded and burned the latest TCL 3.x ISO file onto a CD, and I've booted the computer from the CD. Now how to I operate TCL in one of the preferred modes of operation [Mount Mode or Copy Mode] listed on the Core Concepts page?

Please help me understand!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 06:19:58 PM by antiMS »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: Please Help - Newbie Trying to Understand the Terminology
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 08:00:39 PM »
I would suggest to explore Tiny Core before setting up via Grub. The installation guide is for the mount/ppr mode.

The only difference between Cloud and Mount/PPR is that the tcz application packages are stored on a physical drive.

You can boot from CD and still be able to use Mount/PPR mode.

Boot CD.
Right click on background to get menu
Select System Tools - ControlPanel
Select Set TCE Drive

You should get a menu of physical drives to choose where you want downloaded tcz application pakacges to be stored and default backup to occur.

You will need a non NTFS partition for Set TCE Drive to work.

If you have access to a pendrive then you will need to add boot code "waitusb=5" for the pendrive to be detected.

If successful, then upon subsequent booting from the CD, your tce directory of applications extensions will be automatically detected.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Please Help - Newbie Trying to Understand the Terminology
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 12:54:20 AM »

You will need a non NTFS partition for Set TCE Drive to work.

I would say a partition supported by TC/MC base (without adding extension), FAT or ext2/ext3/ext4 (ext4 preferred)
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."