WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: updating  (Read 4970 times)

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
updating
« on: March 05, 2009, 04:57:16 PM »
I tried to update by unpacking the  iso, and replacing my old bzimage, isolinux, and tinycore.gz (in hd/tinycore). I guess this isn't the way to do it, because the new boot hung for about a minute looking for my non-existent floppy drive...giving IO errors.  What is the correct way to update, avoiding having to burn a new CD?  Thanks..

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: updating
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 06:59:13 PM »
Until we do a kernel upgrade, should only need to copy over the new tinycore.gz and any files that I usually list as likely in your persistent store.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 09:33:53 PM »

I unpacked 1.2.rc2,.iso and copied tinycore.gz  to /hd/tinycore. 
The resulting boot hangs up looking for fd0 with something like:
"end-request i/o   dev fd0 sector 0 " for about 30 seconds, Then it tries for another 30 sec before repeating the error message. After another 30 seconds, there's something like:
"buffer i/o/  error device fd0. Another 30 seconds to repeat the initial error before moving on to complete the boot.  It's been I guess about 12 years since  I used a floppy.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 02:40:45 AM »
Something along these lines works fine for me - both with the stock bzImage and a recompiled bzImage:
Code: [Select]
$ mkdir /tmp/image
$ sudo mount -o loop /mnt/sda1/iso/tinycore_1.2rc2.iso /tmp/image
$ sudo cp /tmp/image/boot/tinycore.gz /mnt/sda1/boot
$ sync
$ sudo umount /tmp/image

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 07:18:04 AM »
I like that better than unpacking with 7-zip, but doesn't eliminate the bug. Did you try on a computer without a floppy? 

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 07:43:26 AM »
This was done from a usb stick on a machine booted from the same usb stick - it doesn't have a floppy drive...

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 08:57:47 AM »
Comparing the two tinycore.gz files, I noticed earlier references to fd in the new version, for example in line 22 with numerous refs to /dev/fd, The only refs to dev/fd  I found in the older version were inclosed in "if" statements.  (eg line5626). 

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 09:17:42 AM »
Do you have the floppy drive turned off in the bios? It's a good way to tell all OSes that you don't have one, and so not to probe it.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 03:01:16 PM »
Do you have the floppy drive turned off in the bios? It's a good way to tell all OSes that you don't have one, and so not to probe it.

Yes, it's listed as "not installed" in the bios. Anyway, if the old version works and this doesn't, no sense trying to find workarounds if it's a bug. I can use the old version.