Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Bugs

graphics-2.6.33.3 black screen

(1/1)

rtb:
I have an oddball intel 830m graphics chip.  Upon installation of the app I get an immediate and irreversible black screen.

Here is the link to the procedure I posted on how to install in an older version http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=6495.0.
This no longer works and on tc3 I can currently only run 680x400.

curaga:
It appears Intel's new stack is currently broken for many of the i8xx series. Boot with "nomodeset", and use Xorg 7.4 (7.5 Intel requires KMS).

philip:
I had the same problem, and this thread solved it.
 CPU: Intel Atom 230
 Chipset: Intel 945G
Just trying to install graphics-2.6.33.3-tinycore with the Appbrowser would black-screen my computer, but after a boot with the "nomodeset" option the installation succeeded.

With graphics-2.6.33.3-tinycore installed, confless invocation of Xorg-7.5 fails with a black screen, whereas confless invocation of Xorg-7.4 works fine.

I'm delighted to find the solution to my problem immediately, by searching these forums.

Thanks Curaga!

curaga:
The current upstream action seems to be to disable acceleration for these problematic chips.
If it is accepted, starting from the next Intel driver the i8xx will only have KMS modesetting and XV video accel, no 2d or 3d accel.

philip:
In fact I'm content without acceleration. I just wanted to get my nonstandard monitor resolution (1920x1200) working. That required Xorg instead of my previous Xvesa+915resolution combination. Configuring Xorg was going badly for a long time until I installed this package, at which point it worked instantly with zero effort.

[On a related project with pinetrail graphics, I tried hacking 915resolution to accommodate the GMA3150 chipset. I got an apparently-working replacement for 915resolution, but Xvesa still couldn't cope. The pinetrail chip is in a box with enough RAM that I can just shrug and use Xorg instead, so eventually I did that.]

Thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version